Chinese Weddings

How would you write a "4:30" reception?

We're having the typical problem with the number 4, in this case putting "4:30" ("half after four o'clock in the afternoon") on our invitations as the start of the banquet. How would you word it so that guests arrive on time but we avoid a 4?
The ceremony is at 2:00 (2:30, really), and will only take about 30 mins before we head over to the reception, so it's tough to avoid running into 4 o'clock somewhere.

Re: How would you write a "4:30" reception?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um... if your reception starts anytime between 4:00 and 4:59, I don't see any way you can write it without mentioning the number 4. Otherwise you'll just confuse your guests.

One other option is to use the simple "Reception to follow" but your reception has to begin pretty much immediately after the ceremony (allowing for travel time) for that to work.

If you're that superstitious, move your reception time earlier or later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_chinese-weddings_would-write-430-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:397Discussion:c5b215bf-1746-4ff4-a866-17c2379a88b0Post:7ccf8bc3-ea9e-4414-955c-e101c8bf5dec">Re: How would you write a "4:30" reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um... if your reception starts anytime between 4:00 and 4:59, I don't see any way you can write it without mentioning the number 4. Otherwise you'll just confuse your guests. One other option is to <strong>use the simple "Reception to follow" </strong>but your reception has to begin pretty much immediately after the ceremony (allowing for travel time) for that to work. If you're that superstitious, move your reception time earlier or later.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

I agree completely on all parts. But I personally don't think it's a big deal if you <em>do</em> write "four" even if it <em>is </em>considered an unlucky number. Just sayin'.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree... if you're that superstitous about the number, then the only way is to change the time. I don't think it's that big of a deal either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards