Jewish Weddings
Options

Chuppah question

I'm planning to use the chuppah material that my great-grandfather (who was a rabbi) used whenever he was the officiating rabbi. So, we're not doing a free-standing chuppah, and are opting to have our chuppah holders walk in with it, holding on to wooden poles. so, my question is related to the poles...i have a friend who can get me branches to use, but he's not jewish and has never done this before. i'm not sure how early is too early to have him cut the branches and get them to me. any recommendations from those of you who have used wooden poles? I'm afraid that if he cuts them too early, the branches might dry out too much and look bad/be uncomfortable for people to carry. If it's very close to the wedding, I'll likely get nervous that it might not work somehow (and my friend is getting them for me from his property that is about 4 hrs driving from where we live and where the wedding is). Please let me know if you have any ideas on timing of cutting branches and/or a plan B for something to attach to the chuppah material. Thanks!

Re: Chuppah question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We used a table cloth from my grandmother's trusseau, so I think it's similar to what you're looking to do. The synagogue where we were married had a carried chuppah that had stands that our holders could put the poles in, so in essence it could have been carried in. The poles were plain would pole (brown like old fashion broom handles) that we covered with table sashes. I'd be happy to send you pictures, feel free to email me, batiae at gmail dot com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards