Washington-Seattle
Options

question for already married ladies re: kids at the reception

What was your plan for kids at the reception?  How did that work out for you?  I'm starting to come up with ideas and would love the input.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 65 asked to watch us make it happen
image 51 helping us party

Re: question for already married ladies re: kids at the reception

• Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ......i didn't have one?

i made activity books for the kids, but only one really used it (age 1.5), and the rest of the kids (ages 4-11) just wanted to play with each other. they ran around the tables, played tag, played games..the way kids are supposed to play. it didn't bother anyone...there were about 5 of them total, so it wasn't like it was crazy or anything.
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    isis842000isis842000 member
    edited December 2011
    I have three kids and they are all so different, and I plan on having kids at our renewal ceremony. I am going to have a kids table so they can feel like "grown ups". I am going to have  crayons/markers/ coloring books,small puzzles, card games like go fish, old maid.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most of my family and friends don't have kids.. so It was pretty easy for me. I got confirmation from everyone with kids that they were not bringing them, and the one who said she was I politely let her know that there weren't going to be any there and it probably wasn't going to be a good idea to bring him. That being said, one of my cousins randomly showed up with her newborn (cousin wasn't invited either, just came along with my aunt, sigh). At that point there is nothing I can do. It's her problem, not mine.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we didnt have a plan for them... i kinda see it like, if parents chose to bring their children, then they were responsible for them. granted, we love kids and would never have excluded them, and the majority of them were out on the dance floor with us, dancing away. we also had a bonfire going, with stuff to make s'mores set out, so i'm sure some of them attacked that. i know that they also loved the photobooth and all the props in there.

i guess making a plan for them really depends on how many you're going to have, what type of venue you have, etc... ours was a little more laid back than a ballroom or restaurant reception, and i know the kids enjoyed benig by the water, running around and just being kids.
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a plan.  As pp said, I think its the parents' responsibiliy if they bring them.  We both love kids.  Its on the beach, so they can go play outside if they're restless.  Otherwise, I assume they'll eat, dance and be cute kids.  A little running around is OK w/ me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't invite kids to our wedding.  The only exception was my toddler niece (who was my flower girl), and DH's cousin's nursing newborn and toddler (they live in California, so she couldn't just leave the newborn at home for the night).  We did not provide any "entertainment" for the toddlers, but the older one got ahold of a balloon that MOH put in our getaway vehicle and LOVED it.  So maybe give them balloons?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The ages of the kids attending our wedding ranged from newborn to 5 years old, grand total of less than 10. I had little gift bags (just the plain white ones with handles) that I labeled for each of the non-babe in arms. I got an awesome deal on little ceramic teacups/saucers so each kit had one of those ($1 a piece) for their own at home tea party fun. I had a lot of fun making an activity/learning book for the kids. The first section was a little about the couple and things we like to do in Seattle, so it had info and pictures to color about the zoo and fish locks. I did an easy picture search and maze. Then I had the back section be a wedding section. We packaged up some crayons in ziploc bags to put with them.

I think it's a really nice touch to have little packages of crayons and coloring pages, super easy to put together, and is helpful for non-running around activity (and sometimes parents forget to bring stuff).
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not married yet, but at our venue, there is this kind of separate room area. We're thinking of bringing in a Wii for the few kids we'll have there. Just have to keep FI and his friends away from it :o)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards