Washington-Seattle
Options

Hair stylists... yes im still whining :)

Ok, so i took someones suggestion on my previous hair post (hair trial) and called the Pinup Salon in seattle, who just so happens to have a stylist that lives in the north end and can do my hair at the venu for $250.  i have to do a 50% deposit up front and get a trial included.  should i do this?  has anyone been there before?  she said the girl specializes in pinup hair, read mostly good reviews on yelp.com  but just want to check with the knotties before i do this again! lol :)

if down i want this:

if up i want this:

or

So how do you know if yo ushould do hair up or down?  is there like a rule that says with x type of dress you should have x hair? lol.... i cant decide
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hair stylists... yes im still whining :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    p.s. check our my ticker, 100 days! woohoooo!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is the deposit refundable? If you have a really specific look in mind and you think they can do it it may be worth it? 

As far as up or down... I am decided based on what I feel good it! I don't feel like I look good with my hair up so I am wearing it down... I think if you have a lot of detail at the top of your gown you probably want it up - otherwise anything goes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i personally feel ike it is a lot of money and you could totally find some one else to do it for less expensive. if you have the budget, do it.

i agree with pp.. i feel like i don't look as cute with my hair up as down i'm doing downish. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i totally dont have the budget LOL  , but i wasnt sure what the normal rates are? i rarely get my hair done, so maybe i should have the other girl attempt it again? or someone in my area..

hmmmmm
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that seems really pricy to me... unless you have a budget for that, which is fine if you're ok with it.  Before I settled on them, I'd probably spend more time looking around.  One thing I might try would be to find out if any of the local theaters would be able to give you contact information for hair dressers.  My mom used to work at a theater doing hair and there are a lot of talented people who may do it for less. 

Another idea would be to just call around to different hair salons to see if any of the stylists have any training in period hair - you never know even if the whole salon doesn't specialize in that.  One that comes to mind is VAIN downtown, kind of a funky place.  Good luck!
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I posted while you posted and said that's not in your budget :)  I think $150 is more reasonable (that's about how much it was at Gene Juarez I think and that's a more expensive place, although each stylist costs a little different).  Anyway, I'd expect something in that price range, but you may get lucky!
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, that seems pricey.  As for up or down, I don't think it has so much do to do w/ the dress as w/ you.  Do it whoever you prefer and what you think suits you.  I know if mine is down, it will bug me all day, make me hot & uncomfortable, plus FI & I prefer it up, so its going up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsH8172010MrsH8172010 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

To be honest I really don't think the hair style in the first picture should be that hard for any stylist to do and $250 seems like a really high price. So if you really like the first one and that is what you want I say try your stylist again or find someone else with a lower price.

Now if you really want one of the other two those might be better done by the person who specializes in pinup hair.

If you try your stylist again I would bring in the picture of how she did your hair and the picture of how you wanted it and show her that the curls are completely different and it looked like, for the poof, she only used a little bit of your hair from the top of your head, but the picture you wanted it took look like pulled hair from all around her face. Maybe she just wasn't paying attention to the details that are important to you so pointing them out might help her recreate the look better.

HTH!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    +1 to amandasw's VAIN recommendation. FIe is getting her hair did there and we are having a period-theme'd wedding. $250 for hair only does seem pricey -- I think Gene Juarez does hair and makeup for $300 and $350 and that strikes me as the upper bound of reasonable.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe the $250 price is for her to travel to the site on the day of and do your hair on-site.  It's less if you don't do on-site. Pinup is good, they did a girlfriend's 40s do and it ROCKED.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards