Washington-Seattle
Options

Venue Challenge

Are you ready for a venue challenge?   I would love help finding just the perfect venue for our budget, guests, etc.  We're planning to get married in March 2011.  Somewhere from Puyallup to Everett or a little east.  We have 120-140 guests.  Looking for a space that can accommodate indoor ceremony and indoor reception - also fitting everyone in one room for the reception (not separate rooms of a house).  Our budget is tight so it has to have catering for under $30 a head or allow outside caterer.  We would prefer under $20 per person.  Definitely has to allow outside alcohol.  We would prefer a space that has come character to it - maybe a mansion or old hotel.  The venue fee itself needs to be very low also - under $2k for March.  

Any ideas!?  Please let me know if I forgot any relevant info.  Oh, yes, and we're looking at a Saturday.

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Venue Challenge

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Let's see, venue plus catering for $45/person. Here's a link to the Seattle Area Wedding Venues Map.

A couple of questions:
    (1) Do you have a preference on indoors, indoor/outdoor (i.e. there's an indoor dining area but guests can wander outside)
    (2) how much "sweat equity" are you able to put in -- if you rent a public park, can you find people to set up/take down tables, etc.?

Here are some of the venues that fit your needs:
    * Golden Gardens Bathouse
    * Lake Washington Rowing Club
    * Museum of History & Industry
    * Seattle Asian Art Museum
    * Everett Floral Hall
    * Lake Union Cafe

There are a number of caterers who can keep you under $30/head (counting alcohol). If you want to go no-frills, Flame catering is by far the cheapest, but others -- Pyramid Catering (ours!), Chef Bert, Brown's catering, and Snuffin's Catering -- can get close (other Knotties may know of other low-cost caterers but those are the ones that come to mind first).

Good luck and congratulations!

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've heard Seasoned in Seattle also has some good prices.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lord Hill Farms in Snohomish - indoor ceremony upstairs - indoor reception (all one room) downstairs.  rental for March is a little more than you're asking ($2500) but they have a sister site nearby - their rate for French Creek estates is $1000 for a Sunday in March 2010 - and I'm assuming they use their same caterer.  The difference (in my mind at least) was that it's fairly inclusive.  the only things I had to bring in was my cake and our decorations (and it's a BEAUTIFUL site - didn't need much at all).  The chairs, tables, linens, place settings, were all included and very elegant.  People assumed I arranged it all.  All I did was put some candles and flowers on the table and was good to go.  It's the little stuff that will add up in the end...trust me.

Their catering prices range from $20.95-$33.95 per person, a second entree added for an additional $4.50 per person.  they have a $3000 min. order (might be less during non-peak and it might be something you could negotiate?  We used all $3000 for our 125 guests by adding more food and more choices).  The food was very very good.  They do allow a tasting before hand (and the reception area is all set up so you get an idea what it would feel like during YOUR reception)

anyway...there ya go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ta78ta78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are looking for something similar to your description.

Georgetown Studios is just under 2000 for a Saturday. You can bring in your own food and alcohol which is nice, but have to figure in rentals for everything. Also, it's just a giant one room studio.. so you'd have to figure out how you want to do both ceremony and reception.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lake Wilderness Lodge in Maple Valley.  March is considered off-season by them, and Sat day is $1500, eve is $1800.  I would also suggestChef Bert for catering, most of his menus are under $25 pp, you supply your own alcohol (yay for $3 Chuck from TJs!).  His pricing includes servers, real china, real flatware, glasses, etc.  He's our caterer and I know of a bride who got married at the lodge fall '08 who used him (in fact she recommended him to me) and was happy with it all.  HTH!
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    nosajnosaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe Pickering Barn in Issaquah as a venue with character, plus I think it holds a lot.

For a caterer, I'd hightly recommend Celebrations Catering. They are the main caterer for the South Snohomish Chamber of Commerce and I've been to lots of their events. I actually just hired them myself! Their prices were really good and they really flexible. Oh and food is awsome (especially the smoked salmon cakes). Good luck!
  • Options
    ghbrideghbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    briandbry2010briandbry2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Land Mark Convention Center in Tacoma. tacomaslandmark.com
    Great Space. Vintage feel. and totaly i your budget. you have to use their onsite catering but they are full service. Set up clean up linens etc are all included in your catering price
    Visit Retro.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker 172 invitedimage 151 accepted!image 5 can't make itimage 16 haven't respondedimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the venue suggestions!  I'm looking into each and every one of them.  You guys are great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Came across one more in Des Moines: www.landmarkcelebrations.com/" target="_blank">Landmark on the Sound (different from the Landmark in Tacoma) might be a smidgen bit over the $2k limit (I think it's $2100) but it looks beautiful and if you only need certain rooms + the kitchen and since it's off season, you might be able to work a little bit of a deal.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Tygirl, that place looks really cool!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards