African American Weddings
Options

So glad I have smart, well prepared mom!

As some of you know, I live in Washington state but my wedding is in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio.  I ordered my dress while I was in Ohio during Thanksgiving because I didn't want to buy it out here and worry about flying back home with my heavy dress.  My dress recently comes in and the bridal shop calls to tell me that it arrived.  I told them that since I live out of state that my mom will come and pick it up.  Now let's keep in mind that when I got my dress in November my mom paid for the dress in full.  My mom is very organized and keeps every single document that pertains to the wedding.

So she goes to pick up the dress and looks the dress over and everything seems to be in order.  My mom thanks them for everything and is about to head out of the store.  The girl helping her said, wait a minute, you can't take the dress until it's paid in full.  My mom said, uh, I paid in full when my daughter was here trying on the dress.  The girl said, well we don't have any record of you paying in full and we only have the 50% deposit.  Let me just say that my mom is a very sweet woman and knows how to be polite, but this girl is talking about my mom paying an EXTRA $750, so of course my mom was getting ready to act black in the bridal shop!  Before she flipped out, she realized that she brought the original receipt just in case, so she goes out to the car and gets it and shows them that she did indeed pay in full.  The girl apologizes profusely and swears that the person who placed the order must have made a mistake.

I understand that mistakes happen and we're all human, but for real, if my mom hadn't had the original receipt she would've been up a creek without a paddle.  So the moral to this story is to SAVE ALL DOCUMENTS!!!

Re: So glad I have smart, well prepared mom!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is wonderful! Your mom is on point!!!! I am glad she didn't have to completely act up in there!

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She is on point. This is why I am saving every document, receipt, email, EVERYTHING!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am so happy your mom had that receipt!  Whew!  My blood was starting to boil just reading what that sales clerk was saying!!

We had the same issue recently with our rehearsal dinner.  The old event coordinator left the company, the new one said she "had everything under control", but when we asked to confirm menu/pricing, she started to trip.  Saying for the price per person we were quoted, she thinks we were mistakenly quoted lunch prices, not dinner.  Then said they could not make this soup that was offered to us b/c it will be out of season, etc. etc.   On top of that, the new coordinator acted like she didn't have any of our stuff on file.   Thank goodness, my FI had saved the original documents!  So now we're back to our initial menu and pricing. 

It pays to be on top of this wedding stuff!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AMEN! I save everything, and if I lose the receipt, I call up my bank for the statement
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_glad-smart-well-prepared-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:0645913a-5435-4122-b75d-f10f2b0066eePost:afc1dc85-e9c4-4175-bfb2-3e0988bdc9e9">Re: So glad I have smart, well prepared mom!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so happy your mom had that receipt!  Whew!  My blood was starting to boil just reading what that sales clerk was saying!! We had the same issue recently with our rehearsal dinner.  The old event coordinator left the company, the new one said she "had everything under control", but when we asked to confirm menu/pricing, she started to trip.  Saying for the price per person we were quoted, she thinks we were mistakenly quoted lunch prices, not dinner.  Then said they could not make this soup that was offered to us b/c it will be out of season, etc. etc.   On top of that, the new coordinator acted like she didn't have any of our stuff on file.   Thank goodness, my FI had saved the original documents!  So now we're back to our initial menu and pricing.  It pays to be on top of this wedding stuff!
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm telling you, people will try to get over on you but the minute you start producing documents and letting them know that you're not a fool, that's when they want to start acting like they have some sense.  Way to be on it!

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So glad your mom had everything together!! That saleswoman was trippin girl.

I'm a very thorough person, so I keep originals & copies of EVERYTHING. If its via telephone, I write down the convo & who I talk to. I don't play around when it comes to money....lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards