African American Weddings
Options

Is anyone shy?

I know that most brides are excited about all the attention they will get on their big day but is anyone like me and not big on being in the spot light??

People are always amazed when I tell them that I am shy. Once you get to know me I'm very out spoken and out going but when I'm put in the spot light I shy away.

I guess there is a difference from one on one conversations and being the center of attention while everyone is starring at you? Even at work if I have to give a presentation or the few occasions I had to publicly speak I kept butterflies in my stomach.

Just curious if anyone else is like me and not sure how they will feel with all eyes on you?
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: Is anyone shy?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope  not ME!!! 
    I cant be with the type of work that I do.  I was a extremely shy as a child.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the same way. Everyone that knows me knows I'm not shy at all & very vocal. But I don't like a lot of attention (and I usually can't stand people that crave attention). I keep wondering if I'm gonna get tired of people looking at me & being around me, but I just think of all the fun I will have.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-shy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0660bf50-2150-4574-9211-2a2a344cb22dPost:e93948ac-7429-4a4c-8728-8cf411ed5c92">Re: Is anyone shy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm the same way. Everyone that knows me knows I'm not shy at all & very vocal. But I don't like a lot of attention (and I usually can't stand people that crave attention). <strong>I keep wondering if I'm gonna get tired of people looking at me & being around me, but I just think of all the fun I will have.
    </strong>Posted by lil01[/QUOTE]

THIS!!! I'm so afraid of snapping on someone. FI and I don't like a lot of attention. I guess I should start praying now...LOL
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am naturally shy and I had to overcome it b/c of the responsibilities that come with my career.  I am totally fine with public speaking and in one-on-one situations, but I think I might feel a little odd about everyone staring at me for the first dance, and generally all night long at the wedding.  LOL

But I am going to try to focus on FI and family/friends, so hopefully I won't even notice when all eyes are on me. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ME!!! especially socially. Im mostly quiet and observe my surroundings, but once I get comfortable then you see ME. My friends say im goofy and outgoing but when I meet new people im low key. And I am super nervous about having All Eyes On Me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TootnSpankTootnSpank member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am extremely shy and quiet but like someone else said very observative. The thought of 200 people having their attention on me all day is frightening lol But luckily I have over a year to try and get ready for it so hopefully I'll be okay. Good luck to all the other shy brides!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-shy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:0660bf50-2150-4574-9211-2a2a344cb22dPost:5e1bc813-4da7-40c7-aeb8-3220c707869d">Re: Is anyone shy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I am naturally shy and I had to overcome it b/c of the responsibilities that come with my career.  I am totally fine with public speaking and in one-on-one situations</strong>, but I think I might feel a little odd about everyone staring at me for the first dance, and generally all night long at the wedding.  LOL But I am going to try to focus on FI and family/friends, so hopefully I won't even notice when all eyes are on me. 
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly! I frequently have to give presentations because of my job, so that has helped me out a lot with public speaking and meeting new people (clients). My fiance, friends and family will never believe that I'm shy, but I was growing up and it used to  take me a while to warm up to new people - they all think I'm just a snob lol, which is soooo far from the truth. Fiance has also helped me out with this since he is super outgoing. I never like attention on me, but I am looking forward to it on my wedding day.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have gotten much better over the years, but  i am really shy around strangers and my Fi speaks to random peple all the time. I feel really uncomfortable being around him when he is engagin in convo with people that I don't know. On more than one occasion he has kinda left me by myself when he is around people I don't know. Uhhh... my stomach hurts thinking about this... next question.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like a lot of attention on me either so I was super nervous about walking down the aisle and everyone staring at me, so I just kept my eyes on DH the whole time. Did the same thing for the first dance.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I am a shy one too.   However, I am looking forward to be in the spotlight on my wedding day.  I figure the hardest part of the day will be that walk down the aisle and the first dance.  One poster here said she kept her eyes on her DH.  I think that will be my plan too.   Hopefully, by doing that I won't be nervous at all.  The rest of the wedding I will be having too much fun to remember that I am in the spotlight (I hope!).  LOL!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You are not alone!! My biggest fear is dancing in front of everyone. (I'm the person who usually holds up the wall during parties...or sit at the table and just watch others dance away...lol) I also fear walking down that aisle and having ALL eyes on me! But girl we will get through it, who knows with all the excitement we may not even have enough time to be shy! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards