African American Weddings
Options

Dress help

How many fittings should I have before the big day? And about what is the timeline? My wedding is in October, but my first fitting is June 25th. We will have the train bustled at that time too.

Re: Dress help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was told that the fitting process needs to be started 6-8 weeks before the wedding, especially since I am trying to lose weight. My wedding is in July so my seamstress told me don't come in until May to make sure it fits perfectly. I will have 2 fittings, then try it on the day I pick it up just to make sure. She will also be doing my bustle.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not having to have any alterations done to my dress so they said I could wait to have the bustle done when I bring it in to be pressed before the wedding. I'm getting married 9/17 and am taking it in end of July beginning of August for them to do the bustle and press it. 

Ask them and see what they say but I think you should wait to do the bustle at you last fitting so they can do that and press the dress for you
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dress-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:06cf3f3f-8b43-4e6b-bbf3-b74a506ee060Post:d64ac405-146d-4ff5-b690-ed2a11067a71">Re: Dress help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not having to have any alterations done to my dress so they said I could wait to have the bustle done when I bring it in to be pressed before the wedding. I'm getting married 9/17 and am taking it in end of July beginning of August for them to do the bustle and press it.  Ask them and see what they say but I think <strong>you should wait to do the bustle at you last fitting so they can do that and press the dress for you
    </strong>Posted by flasweetheart[/QUOTE]
     This is what I was thinking too. I am losing weight, not fit into my dress butto simply be smaller than I am, and didn't want to have to "re-do" things to my dress!
  • Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are right on schedule.  You should have 2 to 3 fittings before your big day. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    sharonda1981sharonda1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no actual number, it depends on what you need done. Your first fitting should be atleast two months before (find out what the alterations department you are using deadlines are). Your first fitting should tell you everything you need done including the bustling. Your next fitting might be your last fitting if they did everything right. If not you may have another. So it really all depends. I only need the bust area altered and bustling so I only had one fitting and then a final fit (2).
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I had 2 fittings, the last one was last Saturday and my wedding isn't for another 2 months.  She put the bustle in after the first fitting since that was all that was needed, no other alterations necessary.  I will try it on again when I pick it up, since I've been working out more, but it should fit fine, it has a corset back.
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel bad because I'm going ONCE! My tailor is THEBOMB.COM! So, I'll be going about 2 weeks before the big day.
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They actually scheduled 4 sessions for me the last one 2 weeks before the wedding.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards