African American Weddings
Options

To receive or not to receive?

I dont remember if I asked you ladies this before. If I did sorry. But humor me anyway please.

My fsmil thinks that we should have a receiving line as well as go around to tables to talk to guest. Fi and I feel that a receiving line will take to long and eat into our pictures and party time. We'd rather try to hit th the tables. We know the mandatory guest that will be upset if we dont give them one on one time. The rest of our families are very social and will come to us or dance with us. So im not really worried about not interacting with people. It will happen at some point. They will make sure of it. lol

What are you ladies doing ? Explain please .
Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/

Re: To receive or not to receive?

• Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having the ceremony and reception in one place, so a receiving line would be awkward.  Even if we were having the ceremony somewhere else, I would rather do the tables.  It's more natural - receiving lines seem a bit forced in my opinion.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    gatineaubridegatineaubride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As you will be entering the room, why don't you go around each table and say a quick hello and thank you for coming. That will save you more time.
    You are lucky, in Africa; usually they have a receiving line and you have to give 3 kisses to every guest. I remember hating that whenevener I was home visiting and we had to attend a wedding. LOl!
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we're also having everything in one place.  But even if we weren't I wouldnt do a receiving line.  It goes on forever and you only have time to say thanks for coming.  It seems really pointless since you will see all these people again in like a hour.  
  • Options
    Dnyce7282Dnyce7282 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have been debating this lately too! I think we may just "table touch" when we get to the reception but we shall see
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We finally decided to do both because they are people who will be at the African party the day before and at our ceremony who may not stick around for the reception and vice-versa

We decided to only have FI, myself, and our mothers so the receiving line at church goes faster. We don't yet have a plan for making the rounds at the reception faster, and not feel like that's what we would be doing the whole night....

When we started planning, I really didn't want to do a receiving line but I am ok with our decision now...

• Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing table visits because a receiving line with 200 people would be ridiculous. You just really have to make time to say "hello and thank you." Either way, you're cutting into something.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I picked undecided, but I'm leaning toward table visits only. I am pretty sure our families will be okay with this and I don't even think my FI knows what a receiving line is.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'm with you eagles347, if I asked my FI if we should have a receiving line he'd go a receiving what?!  We're just doing table visits.
  • Options
    anewdayanewday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing table visits.  I'm not trying to stand in a line and shake everyone's hand becasue they're going to try to have a full conversation with you.  At least with the tables, we can kindly move to the next one. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're actually going to do a receiving line during cocktail hour. Time to mingle with the guest and grab a few bitesInnocent. Then for the ones we missed, do a quick table briefing during reception. We plan on forgoing traditional and doing "pre ceremony shots" so we can get as many in as possible and just go straight over to cocktail hour and chill with our guests. We have 200 + guests and to do a receiving line after the ceremony will compromise cocktail hour.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a self proclaimed germaphob!  So, receiving line with hand shakes and kisses all at once is out for me!  I will do better with visiting folks at the tables.  Table visits with everyone is my vote....FI will agree:) 
  • Options
    TINAMMTINAMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing table visits only because we are having an inimate wedding with only 44 guest(not including us and our children) so i feel we are able to give each guest ample one on one time. If we were having a larger event them maybe a recieving line but I don't really like those anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_receive-not-receive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0817da06-3b52-4846-86a1-bb5ea7802458Post:dbb82bda-d015-4553-8c7a-fc224b50b832">Re: To receive or not to receive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a self proclaimed germaphob!  So, receiving line with hand shakes and kisses all at once is out for me!  I will do better with visiting folks at the tables.  Table visits with everyone is my vote....FI will agree:) 
    Posted by Rhoyal_1[/QUOTE]

LOL! I totally agree. I would have my antibacterial in FI's pocket in between handshakes lol. No receiving line for us. Our wedding is only 4 hours, so we wouldn't have time. And even if we did have time, we would still only do table visits.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing table visits only.  It will alllow us to spend more time with our guests and to be social.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't even thought about this.  We're having our ceremony and reception at the same place as well.  The ceremony will be outside and the receptioon will be inside.  The idea of a receiving line leaves much to be desired.  I'm a germaphobe as well.  My fiance is all for it though  Maybe this will be my opportunity to finally compromise on something.
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards