African American Weddings
Options

Send off

I'm thinking sparklers or bubbles for our exit.

Are you doing either of these? What made you pick one over the other?
If not, what are you doing?

I guess I need to start researching...I have seen some nice-looking pictures of both options, but can't decide.
AAW June Siggy Challenge
My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Send off

• Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking bubbles...
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am thinking of doing sparkles.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we're doing bubbles
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Bubbles because I think they're so pretty and TK shop has some packs of 48 that go on sale a lot for like $6. The color matches my pool blue color closely.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing anything. In MA, sparklers are considered a fire hazard and you need a special permit for it. Acording to the venue, bubbles can only be used outside but it causes the ground to be slippery.
    I am not into bird seeds and confetti isn't allowed so its just a good ole "see you later" for us.

But I'd be interested in seeing what others are doing. Perhaps I can get an idea for something different.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi.. Eagles... I like Sparklers... I've seen both... and I like sparklers much better... Bubbles are usually expected and can be messy... Just my opinion... Take it easy...
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_send-off-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:097bfc3f-89c3-4a87-8c34-8871fadd64b7Post:03bb3e5c-60c8-40c2-96fe-4f147aca2b37">Re: Send off</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't doing anything. In MA, sparklers are considered a fire hazard and you need a special permit for it. Acording to the venue, bubbles can only be used outside but it causes the ground to be slippery. I am not into bird seeds and confetti isn't allowed so its just a good ole "see you later" for us. But I'd be interested in seeing what others are doing. Perhaps I can get an idea for something different.
    Posted by wheatney22[/QUOTE]

I'm with you wheatney - we don't have any plans for a send off.  Since we're getting married in a museum there are so many restrictions.  I don't think sparklers or bubbles would be allowed, and they already told us no rice or bird seed.  So unless a very cool idea that is also museum-friendly gets posted, we will just jet out! 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with cincy and wheatney - I'm scared of sparklers (yea yea yea, laugh) and I don't like the idea of 'dodging' bubbles or bird seed or anything really.  I know alot of places have restrictions on what CAN be used for the send-off. BUT, I'd really love to do SOMETHING instead of everybody just clapping.... hmm..
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I am doing sparklers for our entrance and not the send off.  Our ceremony and reception is at our house and so...

But here's the favor I came up with.  I will have these in a basket and guests will just be able to pull one and there will be someone to light the sparkler and then guests will be able to "share their spark" with one another by lighting each others sparkler.  Plus, they'll also have the matches.

100_0662.jpg Sparkler Favor picture by cacoffer

100_0675.jpg full body sparkler picture by cacoffer
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really want to do sparklers but i don't know how it will look before nighttime (ceremony ends at 6 PM - and it's still very daytime in late May.) So I don't know
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_send-off-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:097bfc3f-89c3-4a87-8c34-8871fadd64b7Post:db3cc2c4-4d48-4610-8f58-68b9cd9cdb84">Re: Send off</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing sparklers for our entrance and not the send off.  Our ceremony and reception is at our house and so... But here's the favor I came up with.  I will have these in a basket and guests will just be able to pull one and there will be someone to light the sparkler and then guests will be able to "share their spark" with one another by lighting each others sparkler.  Plus, they'll also have the matches.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

I like your idea, it is so cute.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I will be doing sparkles, I think they look good for a evening wedding. JMHO
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alright.. I think I might have our send-off.. very sudden idea - but I really like it...

Bells! :-)  Give each guest a little bell i.e. http://www.americanbridal.com/minsilbel.html?utm_source=minsilbel&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=froogle and they ring them during the send off!  It is part of an Irish tradition (and very old school tradition), but I like it! :-D And it's suppose to mean everytime your husband and yourself hear a bell you're reminded of your wedding day and that love/excitement!
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards