African American Weddings

I have a problem

Been engaged for 10 monthsHave 7 months left Haven't started looking at dresses yet because i am petriefied.Isn't this supposed to be exciting and what every bride to be looks forward to? What's wrong with me?

Re: I have a problem

• milana1023milana1023 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a thing. Those dresses need to get ready for all your fabulousness! Maybe trying on the first one will get the excitement going.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with you. The idea of marriage is something that shouldn't be entered into lightly. I think it's pefectly ok to be nervous.
  • blue19violetblue19violet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nuthin'! What exactly is making you scared? Shopping for the dress and how it will look like on you? Or the significance of buying a wedding dress? Either way, it's normal to be scared for different reasons. You'll get the feeling when and if it's time for you to get it. There's no "supposed" or “must” in this process. Don't put extra pressure on yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    don't feel bad, just try a dress on, take your mother, bestriend, or both with you, and do something like window shop for ideas for the wedding, just have fun..it's okay to be nervous..but when its all over with, all the nervous breakdowns are going to be worth it.
  • edited December 2011
    Girl nothing is wrong with you! But when you start its addicting!!!
  • Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else, nothing's wrong with you. Has any dress caught your eye and you said "i have to try this on"?
  • edited December 2011
    Nothing is wrong girl.  I was feeling the same way, but for me it was more like "omg I'm getting married for real" type of feeling, like it kinda put me in the frame of mind that this is happening for real.  You'll be just fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I think I started out by saying i wanted to loose some weight before going gown shopping... and i haven't loss a lb. I think that's what got me frustrated and sucked away any interrest in gown shopping...
  • edited December 2011
    And I have no doubt about marrying fI but am scared the wedding day itself will suck. (marriage vs. wedding thing) I am scared The dress will be ugly or too tight, people won't dance or eat the food, all eyes will be on me and i will be self conscious, or i will trip down the aisle, etc etc...I am rambling, Maybe it's the morphine talking. I just want to go to Vegas already...Yeah, I am rambling
  • edited December 2011
    awww its okay!! everything will be fine..just pray and pray..as far as the weight loss, drink plenty water, let the snacks go, eat more fruits and salad, and exercise, and you should be okay!! if this doesn't work, don't starve yourself lol but eat small portions of food..matter fact do that anyway, it will help.
  • edited December 2011
    I think its just nerves from the home stretch and the significance of buying your gown. Start by looking online. If you see something that you think is absolutely gorgeous, call the bridal shops near you and ask if they have a sample in stock. If they do, there you go... try on your first gown. I'm sure all the gowns after that wll be a cake walk till you find the right one.
  • edited December 2011
    Girl gone and get that dress and stop trippin'! You know you are going to look awesome in whatever dress you choose! : )
    Mr. and Mrs. Jones est. 10/18/2008
  • edited December 2011
    Nothing is wrong with you! I had been looking @ dresses online and there are just so many! I was overwhelmed. From there I went scared! I didn't want to fall in love with a dress I couldn't afford or buy a dress that I later wouldn't love. But this week I made an appointment to look @ dresses..and I found the dress! I knew it once I put it on.. I went in, didnt really have a smile on my face, just wasn't feeling the whole dress shopping experience..yet i found the dress! LOL..all I did was talk about me! lol.. Just don't fret girly! You'll know it once you see it! It won't be as bad as you're thinking! Happy Shopping! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I love you ladies. Like NIke ad i should just DO IT! Shayla, I am glad you found your dress...
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, exciting....but for me, my first time in a salon was scary and a bit overwhelming. I have more fun looking on websites and in magazines Plus being a chunky butt didn't help either, all the dresses I really liked couldn't fit over my butt. Try to have fun with it, like a prom thing. I think the "wedding dress" draw makes us all nervous. Plus, please go to a good salon with good consultants, that will make a world of difference.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that there is nothing wrong with you.  The dress is such a big deal that even thinking about it is very overwhelming.  The first time I went dress shopping I took my big brother, which was a huge ego boost because he thought everything looked great on me.  Just jump in, have fun, and don't feel obligated to buy the first or even second dress you try on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not make a big deal about my wedding dress.  I felt the same way, like why am I not more excited...especially since I'm all about fashion.  I guess it's because I know that I can't afford to have the wedding dress that I want.  But no, I don't think there is anything wrong with you at all.  You're probably just focused on the big picture.
  • edited December 2011
    I ended my first day of dress shopping almost in tears b/c the kind of dress that I thought I wanted made me look like a clown in costume b/c I am so petite, and they were terribly heavy and hot.  They also made me look wider through the waist than I wanted to and just a total mess.  I didn't have that beautiful bride feeling at all... I had resolved not to go and look again for at least two months.  So there is nothing wrong with you.  There can be many reasons for being petrified about dress shopping.  When I walked into those first stores, I also wanted to faint b/c I couldn't believe that I was in a bridal gown store and I was overwhelmed.  There is alot going on with dress shopping.  Why don't you go with someone, maybe one person, who you are close to and not afraid of being vulnerable or looking ridiculous (if you pick bad dresses initially, like I did) in front of.  Set up an appointment with a consultant ahead of time and maybe just go during the week if you can, when you can get more attention and all of the goo goo ga ga 23 year old brides-to-be aren't running around with their flock of women with them (that would be the Saturday experience).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards