African American Weddings
Options

Got first RSVP's Back!!!! OH NO!!

I was SOOOO excited to get our first rsvps back so soon, but now I'm a little worried because I did not want more than 50 people at the wedding, I sent out 54 invites, of the 54 I estimate 39 to actually come, but  I have received 3 rsvps and they total 12 guests!!!! So if each 39 person brought 1 guest, that would put the guest list way over 50.  Freaking out a little.
June 26th, The day Wallace and I become One. Put God First and everything else will fall into place.

Re: Got first RSVP's Back!!!! OH NO!!

• Options
    edited December 2011

Wow....Not to panic you, but you might have a problem.  Do you have space at the venue locations and can funds be secure in the budget?  I'm praying things work out.  On your invitations did you name the invited person?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

oh, oh! Did you invite people with guests? did you account for +1 or are those just adding now?

• Options
    aldavisaldavis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to let people bring a guest unless they are in a long term relationship, living together, or married.  Otherwise you can just explain to people who ask about bringing someone that you'd prefer it to be a small, intimate affair.
    A
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow, this is the part I'm dreading. I guess you have to make some phone calls to explain to people you don't have room. I'm sure they'll understand.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    stdsxk13stdsxk13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_got-first-rsvps-back-oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1664f210-2be1-4bc8-b570-eef92fb23e2aPost:5700941a-5013-4b14-ae95-042f1501d2be">Re: Got first RSVP's Back!!!! OH NO!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow, this is the part I'm dreading. I guess you have to make some phone calls to explain to people you don't have room. I'm sure they'll understand.
    Posted by missrekaeagle[/QUOTE]

I agree. You may also want to go back over the guest list, and recaluate. Look at who is married or may bring their children.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL...DH and I were jumping up and down "the happy dance" when we got our first NO.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I did estimate for people to bring 1 guest, obviously my calculations were WAY off.  The invites were addressed to specific people, I made the mistake of not putting a limit on the guests they could bring with them and  people I thought would not come, will probably come, the venue can hold up to 150, my budget can't, I will have to wait and see.

June 26th, The day Wallace and I become One. Put God First and everything else will fall into place.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @TAGSKEE1....If you put GUEST VS. GUESTS on the invitations I think you're ok you accounted for at least the one person.  You'll just need to explain to them that if they notice the invitation invite it mentioned GUEST,  Therefore, they cannot bring additional people due to your budget and your idea of having a small intimate affair.  Also, if you did list it as GUESTS I would take the same approach and maybe you can have either have your MOH or mom help you tackle this.  I'm sure everything will be OK once you explain the situation.  I think getting the word out now will help, because a lot of your RSVP hasn't come in yet.  Keep us posted!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a fear of mine.  I should have been a little more careful with the b list approach, but FI insists that people won't show up.  The thing is when you get those RSVPs it does freak you out a bit, but I think it may be misleading.  The no responses will start rolling in.  THat's what I'm telling myself anyways.  Because the first week I received RSVPs daily, now I got nothing!
  • Options
    TINAMMTINAMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

GIRL YOU NEED TO CHECK THOSE GUEST REAL QUICK!!! You need to immediatle call those who rsvp'd and explain to them they are allowed rto bring 1 or 2 guest not the 4 or 5 the rstp'd for. If they have a problem with it then kindly say thank  you for considering coming to our wedding and you will be sadly missed! I put my own MIL in check over the rsvp's I was not playing with them. If you let this slide everyone is going to think its okay to come with an entire clan of people. Cousin pookie you haven't seen since you were 2 cause he's been in jail CANNOT come with his baby mom and 2 kids! LOL!!!! Just and example no offense to anyone who really has a cousin pookie!

• Options
    Dollbaby357Dollbaby357 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I am happy to know we were not the only one's hoping for No's For FYI if it helps others what we did was send our invites out in segments we first sent invites to the most important people and had a backup list of invites to fill in the blank, though FI would like everyone invited to say No except our parents, and siblings and didn't want us to backfill.  I didn't see the point in not backfilling we have a minimum amount to pay for food and beverages whether it is 10 people or the 30 we planned for so back fill I did, we are at 35 but thats quite alright with us, so if it helps others make two list we had the first set of rsvps dated for March 12 after we got the first RSVPS which came pretty fast from immediate family we asked the designer to print out the necessary 2nd set dated for April 12 to mail off so that we received everything before the May 12th due date which worked out perfectly. 

I hope it all works out for you, remember you could always advise guest as mentioned that bringing additional guest is not an option and you could also ask that children not be included.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Be careful with inviting more than you can handle because it's possibility they might all show. Did you notify the people who couldn't bring a guest (not in a serious relationship for example) no to?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
  • Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to plan for it as best as you can, but there are ALWAYS people that say they're gonna go that don't
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards