African American Weddings
Options

Registering?

I am so not looking forward to registering. FI and I bought a house a little over a year ago and we had a house warming party plus FI already had a house so we are pretty much set on house hold good. I am usually extra geeked about shopping but I have no clue what the heck to register for. Any suggestion on what to get or what stores to go to?

P.S. I am not a baker and we have 2 complete sets of dishes, 2 complete sets of pots and pan, Every drink glass you could think of and all the regular household appliances.

Re: Registering?

• Options
    edited December 2011

My FI and I are in a similar situation. We did register for a few things...I don't have any fine china so we did that, a few linens (you can never have too many towels and sheets) and some other home decor items. Our main registry though is our honeymoon registry that we did on Traveler's Joy. It's an alternative and I know a lot of brides think it's begging for money for your honeymoon and don't like the idea but I just see it as not getting another crockpot or George Foreman grill that I don't want or need! For us the honeymoon registry works.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:17a492f7-d656-4bff-bd87-bb6e54e778b7Post:3561eab0-0da3-4288-acc0-ba6940faba8b">Re: Registering?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are in a similar situation. We did register for a few things...I don't have any fine china so we did that, a few linens (you can never have too many towels and sheets) and some other home decor items. Our main registry though is our honeymoon registry that we did on Traveler's Joy. It's an alternative and I know a lot of brides think it's begging for money for your honeymoon and don't like the idea but I just see it as not getting another crockpot or George Foreman grill that I don't want or need! For us the honeymoon registry works.
    Posted by Artemis9999[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of doing this especially since I really do want to go on a FAB honeymoon but I thought it would be frowned upon. I so feel you we got 2 crock pots and 3 George Foreman grills at our house warming. I am so not a China girl and with the size of our current house we have no wear to put it or display it. I have one complete closet of towels and sheets alone I so don't want another towel. sorry to be whinnying but gosh Can i just register for shoes and clothes for me lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In a similar situation where as we both have lived on our own for quite some time. In addition to the norm, I also registered for a few "off-the-wall" things that I would love to have but know I would probably never really buy for myself:

automatic wine bottle opener
    robotic vacuum cleaner
    food processor
    supportive kitchen mats (supposedly great for your knees and back)
    fire pit/patio heater...I love sitting on the deck, but I'm always cold!
    soda maker (FI idea)
    workout equipment accessories and nice weighing scale (FI idea)

some are more reasonably priced than others...hopefully guests will get the idea!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    not in that particular situation so a registry was a MUST HAVE for us!!!!!!! we did 3 + a honeymoon registry

272image Invited
    222image Accepted
    50image Can't Hang
    0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally can understand how peopl might feel about the honeymoon registry. We are still paying for our honeymoon ourselves despite the registry but it would be nice to get some of the things paid for. Girl I feel you on the shoes and clothes! If Bebe, Badgley Mischka or Balenciaga had a bridal registry I might cry with joy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did towels, bedding, glasses, dishes alot to update what we have now. You can never have enough towels or glasses. Im breaking them all the time. We registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond. You would be amazed at the new stuff thats out there. FI had fun in the stores lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Target, Macys, and Crate & Barrel. We're the opposite.....we could use some kitchen and bath stuff. But they have other things that you could register for, especially Target. The only thing is I wish we would've gone in the store. We did it online, which was ok I thought. However, we accidentally registered for majority online only stuff & had to do it all over again months later.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel you.  We registered for things we really wanted or needed.  A new vacuum, Kitchen aid mixer, etc.  This ended up being mostly big ticket items, so we also did a honeymoon registry and gave really low price points with the need for multiples so that guests could have another less pricey option.  Only our friends know about the honeymoon registry as FMIL didn't like the idea at all.  The other option is to not register at all which was my preference but I gave in to the will of FMIL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are facing the same situation. However,we didn't registry we simply put a statement " Due to combining homes we will not be registering but any momentary or gift card are welcomed"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that just a small registry with "fun" stuff like ice cream maker, vacuum, etc., would be good.  I've lived on my own for several years, so I started off like that until I realized that I wanted upgrades on some other things I have.  The small registry hints to people that you want cash without specifically asking for it, which IMO is kind of rude and often doesn't sit well with people.

As far as a honeymoon registry goes, to be honest I thought about it when I first got engaged.  But the thing is that you're not actually getting the honeymoon "stuff," you're getting a check for the cash, which is deceptive to guests who think they're giving you an "experience" that you may or many not have.  You also don't get 100% of the money, the fund typically takes a cut (and it varies depending on the fund).  And it may not be available for the honeymoon - or not a lot of people may give to it, so you have to front the cash for the honeymoon anyway.  So I decided against it.  I figure that if people want to give me money, they'll do so without having a honeymoon registry, and it spends right away :-).
  • Options
    abarnabasabarnabas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am planning on just having a wishing well.  i am including an insert in the invitation nicly stating this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards