Washington-Seattle
Options

Food? Post (kinda long)

So we want to have a cocktail/hors d'oeuvres reception which I was on board with...until I read that if you have a reception during meal times a full plated meal is expected.  The venue coordinator said she's seen a lot of people do hors d'oeuvres and that they have a lot of heavier selections (ie- meat) to make it feel more substantial.So, do we... a) try to do a buffet or plated dinner instead, just to play it safeb) have the reception a little later (after dinner hours) and specify the hors d'oeuvres menu or c) not really worry about it and just let everyone know that's what we're doing.  We were thinking of doing the wedding around 6.Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.  Thanks girls!

Re: Food? Post (kinda long)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought a lot about this because my family expects a meal at "meal times." So our dessert reception will begin about 7:30ish (dinner is earlier for our famlies) and our rsvp cards read "Please join us following the ceremony for a dessert reception to celebrate Sara & Paul's marriage."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would get quotes on both as apps sometimes are more expensive than a buffet depending on the caterer. If you are set on doing apps, I would say start around 7 instead of 6 and let people know it is a cocktail reception so that they know to eat before they come and they have plenty of time to grab something to eat before coming. just my two little pennys :-) HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A full plated meal is definitely never expected, but a meal is expected at a 6 pm wedding. I agree with pp that apps, particularly tray passed ones, can quickly cost just as much or more than a dinner buffet. You could probably do a simple dinner buffet for about the same price at 6 pm, or you could just move it to 7 and have the apps. But, I wouldn't leave it at 6 with only apps... people will end up leaving early to go grab a meal and that could ruin the fun stuff!
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just talking about this with a friend today who was invited to an app only reception at 6pm. I'm completely anti. If you want guests to show up at meal times, I think you need to serve them a meal. I am *not* anti apps in the afternoon, or a dessert reception after dinner, though. Nor am I anti BBQ or more affordable dinner options. I just wouldn't invite ppl to my house at 6pm and not expect to feed them dinner of some sort - this is just a bigger version.
  • Options
    jesgregjesgreg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input...that's what I was kind of thinking too.  We don't have the time set in stone so we can always move it around OR change the menu up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am actually doing something similar for my wedding. We are having our ceremony around 6:30ish and then a cocktail hour directly afterwards for an hour (our ceremony and reception is all at one location). By the time people come up for the reception, it will be 8. I am saving over $20/person by going this route and there will still be plenty of food. The problem I have seen with apps is the people at the front of the line sometimes take everything so the people in the back don't get as good as a selection. In order to avoid this, I am still having placesettings at the tables and having the appetizers brought out for each table. That way it is easier to share among the group and everyone gets to try all of the ones offered. I am also having a few stations set up around the reception, such as meat and cheese, fruit and a satay station, so people can have food throughout the reception if they are hungry. Maybe the plated appetizers is a route you could look into? Hopefully this helps! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards