African American Weddings

Jumping the Broom Question

Hi ladies! My fiance and I have decided to incorporate jumping the broom in our ceremony.  Currently, I have 3 Matrons of Honor, 3 Best Men, 2 flower girls, and 1 Broom Carrier which is my Godchild. However, I'm confused about where does he put the broom after he walks down the aisle with it. Does he just sit in the front row and hold it until we are ready to "jump the broom"...at that point he puts it in front of us? I just don't know the correct way to do this. If any one has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance ladies!!Smile
click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary

Re: Jumping the Broom Question

• Sophia1913Sophia1913 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I may not be much help as I felt like my emotions were all over the place during the ceremony but since we didn't have a wedding party I had my sister hold it under her seat during the ceremony and I had her be in charge of bringing it up there.  It wasn't until I saw the DVD of our ceremony that I saw her get up and put the broom behind us while we were still facing the officiant so that once we turned around to face the guests it was there.  So I'd say if you have a broom carrier maybe he can hold it until you are ready and place it right behind you guys right before you are ready to turn around and jump it.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In the past, I have seen this: Who ever places it down can pick it back up. This can be a BM or GM or even a parent /someone in the first row. Or you can have who ever is walking directly after you (MOH, Best man, etc.) to pick it up. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • I did not think of this..I like the maid or matron putting it down behind us..yep..thats what were going to do..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • I dont know, I just asked my FI question and he looked at me like I dont know.We are jumping the broom too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • good question!
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_jumping-the-broom-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:29041065-0e5f-4335-8127-489b1632ae93Post:8611c147-4096-47d5-aea3-5022c725be18">Re: Jumping the Broom Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont know, I just asked my FI question and he looked at me like I dont know.We are jumping the broom too.
    Posted by BluIvory82[/QUOTE]

Lol. I love it as I am playing the above in my head.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_jumping-the-broom-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:29041065-0e5f-4335-8127-489b1632ae93Post:8611c147-4096-47d5-aea3-5022c725be18">Re: Jumping the Broom Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont know, I just asked my FI question and he looked at me like I dont know.We are jumping the broom too.
    Posted by BluIvory82[/QUOTE]

Lol. I love it as I am playing the above in my head.
  • You can also let the oldest grandparent hold it and place it in front of you.

• Our coordinator had our fg carry the broom since I forgot her pomander to carry.Yell It all worked out! My original plan was to have the broom sit under my mom's seat and then have my brother bring the broom out to lay.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• We plan to place the broom under my mom's seat and to have her put it at the foot of the steps after we say 'I Do'!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My sons will be junior ushers (I have two, one age 14 and one age 17). When it is time for that in our ceremony, they will bring the broom down the aisle together and each will hold one end. This is our honoring our ancestors through tradition and blending the families together. So I agree with OP's I don't think there is a set way to incorporate that into the ceremony. Just do what you feel is best and won't disrupt the flow of the wedding too much.
  • Thank you ladies for all your ideas and suggestions. I appreciate it!
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards