July 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding date drama for entire town! Grr...

So I had Zumba tonight and went straight from there to a meeting for our town's chamber of commerce. There is a VERY small group of members and we always do a Jubilee in town with a parade, bounce houses, vendors, carnival games, and a block dance. I know it's kind of lame but its a tiny town. We always do it the second weekend in July. They next town over, about 15 minutes away, always does their carnival the third weekend (my wedding weekend) in July. This year they changed it to the same weekend as our Jubilee. So basically, we aren't going to make hardly any money because EVERYONE goes to the carnival. They wanted to switch the Jubilee to my wedding weekend, which won't work, because A) they'd lose the help of me, my mom, my brothers, and my cousin. We are half the people they have. B) No one wants to be mean and put us in that position. C)I have the only space in town rented for the reception.

I feel really bad now that I feel like the town is going to suffer. I really hope that I don't continue to feel guilty like this. I specifically picked that date because it wasn't the same weekend as Jubilee. I finally had hope that we finally had our wedding date and I don't want to move it again. Can you guys give me some encouragment? I need some support right now :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development

Re: Wedding date drama for entire town! Grr...

• Options
    Defintely don't let them make you feel bad about your wedding plans.  I would continue with your wedding plans and see if they can do the jubilee a different weekend.  I would think closer to 4th of July would be better and might be a good stress reliever for you to look forward to.  

Anniversary
  • Options
    Wow you must live in a really tiny town!!! Is there a way for them to change the date of the Jubilee??
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Coming from a small town, I know these Festivals or Jubilees are a big deal. That being said, those happen every year. Your wedding happens once. I say keep planning the way you have been on the date. It seems like you help your town a lot, now is their turn to give you support.. I would hope. And it's not your fault they decided to do the Jubilee on a weekend they normally wouldn't.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wedding-date-drama-for-entire-town-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:44e81a61-5ae6-4407-a0a8-a3eab0587aefPost:8f2ff848-a63f-4511-9d9a-8c7d59af00b6">Re: Wedding date drama for entire town! Grr...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow you must live in a really tiny town!!! Is there a way for them to change the date of the Jubilee??
    Posted by mekiakoo[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to post.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Or is there a way to make the other town change their carnival date? After all they always have it on the 3rd weekend of July, why the change this year?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The other town already has it booked, so there's nothing that they can do. I suggested the first weekend because the parade and events will all be over in time if people wanted to go to weekend fireworks. The only thing that would be at the same time would be the block dance and mostly the only people that go to that wouldn't be leaving town for fireworks anyway, but they don't want to deal with changing the date. So I guess we're going to keep it the 2nd weekend and hope for the best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    Thats a bummer but NOTHING you should be feeling guilty about!  You tried to plan around it and now they have changed that date.  That is not your problem at all and you should not feel badly!  Hugs!
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wedding-date-drama-for-entire-town-grr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:44e81a61-5ae6-4407-a0a8-a3eab0587aefPost:78228c97-fbca-4e96-bb2f-9bba93e66dfe">Re: Wedding date drama for entire town! Grr...</a>:
    [QUOTE]The other town already has it booked, so there's nothing that they can do. I suggested the first weekend because the parade and events will all be over in time if people wanted to go to weekend fireworks. The only thing that would be at the same time would be the block dance and mostly the only people that go to that wouldn't be leaving town for fireworks anyway, <strong>but they don't want to deal with changing the date.</strong> So I guess we're going to keep it the 2nd weekend and hope for the best.
    Posted by mandctaft[/QUOTE]

I think that would be my answer.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards