African American Weddings
Options

Vendor Professionalism

From the beginning I said to fi we should have a doc(day or coordinator), why pay someone for full planning services since we have a 2yr + engagement and so far booked the ceremony site, reception and photographer on our own. Plus some of the well known planner services wanted to charge up to 2k for doc services. Well I went to a bridal show back in January and met an local AA vendor that provides doc to full planning services. I was kind of iffy about them but fiance wanted to meet them. My contact person there wanted to meet outside the office and have a consultation at a restaurant. Fi was not a fan at first with meeting at a restaurant and not the office, but we went ahead.

I met with them and thought they spoke a good game, even talked us from doing DOC services to full planning services, but some things rubbed me the wrong way. I mentioned about having individual menu cards, one of the planners said they could make the table look cluttered with 8-10 pp table. Well I want individual menus because the dinner is sit down and the menus adds a formality to the reception. They also said we should have the bar inside the ballroom which I don't agree with due to size and we're having purple accent lighting. The hotel  banquet manager even agreed that they typically have the bars outside the room. Well I emailed the planner a few days later after the meeting to let them know we have decided to go with them. Fi really wants to go with them because they are AA( What difference that makes?) The planner emailed and asked for mailing information, contact info so she can mail the contract out. That was Feb 16. I emailed her back asap. You know I did not hear back from her till March 10. I have not received a contract yet!! She emailed me back on March 10 stating there's been a family illness and I said that I understand and I emailed her the same day with my email I sent back in Feb. Well March 10 been almost 2 weeks and I have yet to get a contract. I really feel in my stomach not to deal with this vendor. I feel this is what we will have to deal with if we book with them.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

Re: Vendor Professionalism

• Options
    edited December 2011
    IMO – go with your gut and DON’T DO IT!!!If they are acting like this before they have your money I could only imagine how they are going to be once they do get your money.Save yourself the stress now because the last thing you want to be is stressed. 
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go with your gut and DO NOT DO IT. You need your planner (believe you me) almost constantly accessible to you, and two weeks to return an email (after an illness or emergency was supposedly resolved) is NOT ACCCEPTABLE even to a potential client. I say go with you gut! This is too important, and fwiw, I dont think individual menu cards look cluttered AT ALL, and are a great, classy accent to a reception place setting. Forget her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with your gut!  If they are lax now and not even listening to what you want then imagine how they will be after you have put down a deposit.  If having a AA vendor is important to your FI then continue your search and I'm sure you will find another one. You have plenty of time to do a search to find someone you really like.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cincy I just pm'd!

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im having a gut feeling about my photog.... He hasn't called me back to confirm the date of the engagement pics. Ive already set up the makeup artist and the location. He said his style was "old school".... after  all of this,, Im thinking that this isn't a style that I like. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vendor-professionalism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:4c0d382d-f48f-49af-a9c4-f27b1b263764Post:4f4d2da0-7380-464a-b4ab-6a7e270aba84">Re: Vendor Professionalism</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im having a gut feeling about my photog.... He hasn't called me back to confirm the date of the engagement pics. Ive already set up the makeup artist and the location. He said his style was "old school".... after  all of this,, Im thinking that this isn't a style that I like. 
    Posted by desi2002[/QUOTE]

What's old school? No emails?

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with your gut on this one too. A DOC needs to organized, punctual and prompt. The behavior so far does not reflect that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

YEP....I SAY FOLLOW YOUR GUT....The vendor isn't even trying to do the right thing before getting your money, so only imagine how they will act later.  I say keep searching you'll find someone you wants your money and is willing to take your vision and implement it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your first mind is usually the right mind. If your GUT is telling you run the hell away, then RUN FOREST, RUN!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Runnn!!!!!
  • Options
    TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the other ladies...

GO WITH YOUR GUT!

So what if she is AA...lets be real, we know our people...

SAD but true
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vendor-professionalism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:4c0d382d-f48f-49af-a9c4-f27b1b263764Post:38382114-572f-46e7-9e3c-d429334d15f6">Re: Vendor Professionalism</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all the other ladies... GO WITH YOUR GUT! So what if she is AA...lets be real, we know our people... SAD but true
    Posted by TysWife2Be[/QUOTE]

Yes we do! I told him tonight we need to not bother with them. I made him understand that this is about professionalism and not me being picky. After all was said in done, he still wants me to find another AA planner. I just don't see the point! More headaches!

Thank you ladies! Clinton & Paw, ya'll crazy!!! LOL

Baby Gender Predictor

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards