African American Weddings
Options

VENUE VENT!!!

Originally one of the selling points on selecting our venue was that we could have both the ceremony and reception in one location without having our guests drive all around town, especially since we have a lot of out-of-town guests. The venue has 2 ballrooms - a smaller one that is mostly used for showers and bday parties and the larger space that is used for mostly for weddings. The manager had stated that we have 2 options - one was to have a reception style ceremony where all the guests will be seated at their assigned tables for the ceremony (I was not feeling this, so this was not an option!), and the other was to pay an additional $500 to have the room flipped after the ceremony. Ok, fine - I thought...$500, not too bad and we can save money on transportation costs since all the members of the wedding party can meet at the venue and we will all get dressed there. She assured me that this will be fine and has been done plenty of times. So we pay the deposit and everything was cool I thought. 

Fast forward to today when I go there with FI since he has never been to the venue and has only seen pics. She was pretty much convincing me to have the reception style ceremony and how it will be too chaotic to flip the room and the lobby area may not be large enough to hold all our guests while the room is being flipped...blah, blah blah. I was so pissed!!! I asked why she told me this could be done before??? She said it has been done, but not since she worked there and all the couples opt for the reception-style ceremony to save money and avoid the confusion. I'm like, lady, I already told you I don't want that - one of the best parts of the wedding is the unveiling of the reception space after the ceremony and if the guests are already seated, then that ruins the surprise...not my vision at all!

I just don't feel she is competent anymore, and she was supposed to be our florist and DOC - not anymore!!! So now, I'm on the hunt for a ceremony location (more than likely a church), florist and DOC. I'm just happy I found this out sooner rather than later. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: VENUE VENT!!!

• Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... sorry they did that.  She probably only said that to get the contract which is very very deceiving.  You did good by not having her as your florist and DOC. Whose to say that she wont change your flowers or something and make up an excuse about not doing you flowers a certain way cause she's not accustomed to making CP or bouquets that way.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Was there anything in your contract with her stating that they would flip the room? If so she's SOL....you can hold them to doing it OR if they don't see if they will give you some sort of discount on the venue since they/she breached the contract. If it's not in the contract like you said at least you found out with enough time to find another venue. BUt definitely check out that contract!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_venue-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:4fd32c02-79b4-4d6a-9e08-172875657f36Post:5f3c5138-2576-43ea-bbed-f70099535266">Re: VENUE VENT!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was there anything in your contract with her stating that they would flip the room? If so she's SOL....you can hold them to doing it OR if they don't see if they will give you some sort of discount on the venue since they/she breached the contract. If it's not in the contract like you said at least you found out with enough time to find another venue. BUt definitely check out that contract!
    Posted by Artemis9999[/QUOTE]

THIS! Seriously I hope it was in there because she will have to make it happen!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dont worry you will find something accomodating..
    image114 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 7 Will be missing out!
    RSVP Deadline May 11th 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_venue-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:4fd32c02-79b4-4d6a-9e08-172875657f36Post:5f3c5138-2576-43ea-bbed-f70099535266">Re: VENUE VENT!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was there anything in your contract with her stating that they would flip the room? If so she's SOL....you can hold them to doing it OR if they don't see if they will give you some sort of discount on the venue since they/she breached the contract. If it's not in the contract like you said at least you found out with enough time to find another venue. BUt definitely check out that contract!
    Posted by Artemis9999[/QUOTE]

<div>Unfortunately no since we haven't paid for it yet. We only paid the deposit and the next payment is not due until June. And it's not even the fact that it can't be done, its just she didn't sound confident that it could be done efficiently and smoothly like she assured me when we paid the deposit. I even thought about getting people on my own to flip the room and then have my florist and decorator do their thing afterwards but my mom said, for everyone's peace of mind, we should just go ahead and find another venue for the ceremony. I just feel a little deceived and thats why I'm pissed.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_venue-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:4fd32c02-79b4-4d6a-9e08-172875657f36Post:b3b32e00-3cdc-40d2-bd89-ea1ca6ebd5e8">Re: VENUE VENT!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: VENUE VENT!!! : Unfortunately no since we haven't paid for it yet. We only paid the deposit and the next payment is not due until June. And it's not even the fact that it can't be done, its just <strong>she didn't sound confident that it could be done efficiently and smoothly like she assured me when we paid the deposit. </strong>I even thought about getting people on my own to flip the room and then have my florist and decorator do their thing afterwards but my mom said, for everyone's peace of mind, we should just go ahead and find another venue for the ceremony. I just feel a little deceived and thats why I'm pissed.
    Posted by hatroopes[/QUOTE]

This would be my concern as well. That's just crazy. I'm glad you're searching elsewhere. Good luck & I hope you guys can find a place soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This would make me angry. Did she explain why it would be difficult to flip the room. If there's enough staff it could be done. Hopefully they give you back your $500 and you made a good call on looking for other vendors to do DOC and florals. She seems lazy. lol

We're having our ceremony and reception at the same venue. The staff is flipping the room after the ceremony and we're using the same flowers from the ceremony in the reception. What really helped us is that the florist we're booking works regularly with our venue and realizes our vision. Her staff will be there to help set up tables and rearrange the room too.

While it may be a pain looking for a new venue, try to get in touch with vendors who work there regularly and find out if your contact is just giving you a hard time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Girrrrrrrrrl, the nerve! I'm glad you found out now and not later.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards