African American Weddings

Should I Invite Her?

I had posted this in another forum, but I wanted the opinions of my fellow AA brides.

There is someone who has been in my life since I was about 5 years old (we'll refer to her as H). She was actually my babysitter and our families attended the same church. I've always told her everything and looked at her as my big sister.

While I was attending college, she did and said some things that were hurtful. She lied about me. She also told her mom, “She’ll have to make her own friends while she’s at school because I don’t have time to be spending every weekend with her.” I also learned that she was reporting personal information to her mom who was in turn reporting to my mom. It wasn't any major information, just information regarding the occasional conflicts that arise between college roommates and friends, boys, etc. My mom never repeated the information to me, but when I did tell her things, she would say that this person's mother told her. My mom wouldn't get mad or upset with me but she did tell me that I had to be careful about what I told H. Therefore, I stopped telling her information.

2009 was a busy year for me. After 27 years, I met my father for the first time and this was a positive, but stressful task. But with the grace of God, I was able to establish a relationship not only with my father, but with his mother, siblings, nieces, and my two half sisters as well. I told H that I made contact with him and was thinking of having him, along with my mom, give me away at the wedding. She replied, "You shouldn't do that. He hasn't been in your life all this time." H and her father don't have the greatest of relationships and I feel as though she was comparing my situation to her situation. Both situations are very different.

She has also made some rude remarks to me which were very hurtful. I haven't spoken to her on the phone in about 4 months. Should I still invite her or should I not invite her? I've tried telling her how I feel and she doesn't listen to me. My mom and FI feel as though I should invite her to the wedding and reception.

Other knotties have told me to invite her and try to talk about my feelings to her. She’s never really listened to me and I feel as though she’s judged my actions but forgets how she was when she was in college. Should I really make amends and invite her and her mom or should I not invite her at all?

Re: Should I Invite Her?

• Dollbaby357Dollbaby357 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For starters it is great that you have made contact with your father and become closer as a result, if you want him there it doesn't matter what someone else thinks or feels this is your wedding.  As for H if you don't mind her being at your wedding than that is fine if it will bother you in an way she just can't come you don't need any chaos on your day.  Most times when people act in this manner it is out of resentment so do not feel that you have done anything that you need to make amends for because it isn't so much your actions are they are hers, trust that she knows what she did in the past and what she does now you do not have to remind her of her own actions she is who she is accept that and keep it moving.  Surround yourself with positives, and whenever possible remove yourself from the BS.  You and H have a family history that spans many years of your lives but you do not owe each other anything so in your adult life if she isn't the type of people you want to surround yourself with than thats just what it is.  Hopefully, one day she will find her own happiness so that she can stop interrupting yours.  I wish you the best.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_should-invite-her?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:54369268-a502-4d0c-8d2f-18cb57eeda08Post:a5995d90-a23a-4467-8d62-2946a7b099b5">Should I Invite Her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had posted this in another forum, but I wanted the opinions of my fellow AA brides. There is someone who has been in my life since I was about 5 years old (we'll refer to her as H). She was actually my babysitter and our families attended the same church. I've always told her everything and looked at her as my big sister.   While I was attending college, she did and said some things that were hurtful. She lied about me. She also told her mom, “She’ll have to make her own friends while she’s at school because I don’t have time to be spending every weekend with her.” I also learned that she was reporting personal information to her mom who was in turn reporting to my mom. It wasn't any major information, just information regarding the occasional conflicts that arise between college roommates and friends, boys, etc. My mom never repeated the information to me, but when I did tell her things, she would say that this person's mother told her. My mom wouldn't get mad or upset with me but she did tell me that I had to be careful about what I told H. Therefore, I stopped telling her information. 2009 was a busy year for me. After 27 years, I met my father for the first time and this was a positive, but stressful task. But with the grace of God, I was able to establish a relationship not only with my father, but with his mother, siblings, nieces, and my two half sisters as well. I told H that I made contact with him and was thinking of having him, along with my mom, give me away at the wedding. She replied, "You shouldn't do that. He hasn't been in your life all this time." H and her father don't have the greatest of relationships and I feel as though she was comparing my situation to her situation. Both situations are very different. She has also made some rude remarks to me which were very hurtful. I haven't spoken to her on the phone in about 4 months. Should I still invite her or should I not invite her? I've tried telling her how I feel and she doesn't listen to me. My mom and FI feel as though I should invite her to the wedding and reception. Other knotties have told me to invite her and try to talk about my feelings to her. She’s never really listened to me and I feel as though she’s judged my actions but forgets how she was when she was in college. Should I really make amends and invite her and her mom or should I not invite her at all?
    Posted by KMB611[/QUOTE]

If you want your mom and dad to walk you down, don't let H get in your way. Personally if my father was still alive and was in the picture, I would. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and your opinion is the one that counts! btw, continue to keep her out your business!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't invite her and that's why I voted no. I just don't see the point of having a negative person around on the happiest day of your life. I have a low tolerance for liars and people who repeat things I tell them in confidence, so I wouldn't deal with H ever again. Ultimately the decision is yours though, so you have to decide how you feel in your heart of hearts.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. She is supposed to be older and maturer but she's always been jealous of me. I strive to be an optimistic person and I want friends I can talk to that will listen; not ones who will tell me what I should do. Thanks again . You made me feel better about not inviting herSmile.
  • edited December 2011
    All I can telll you is that friendships can and WILL change over time.  Just because someone was ONCE close to you, there is no need for you to invite them to your wedding.  It seems that this relationship does need to be resolved-good, bad or indifferent. However, YOUR wedding should should be an event filled with family and friends that are supportive- NOT Sabotagers, IMO.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted maybe because it is entirely up to you. I wouldn't ask H for any more advice or tell her anything, but if you want to preserve the friendship, then invite her to the wedding and patch it all up after the honeymoon. If you think H being at the wedding will be more drama than its worth, then don't invite her.

Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_should-invite-her?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:54369268-a502-4d0c-8d2f-18cb57eeda08Post:c52a2375-4041-4cee-8f30-2ae005fa458d">Re: Should I Invite Her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I voted maybe because it is entirely up to you</strong>. I wouldn't ask H for any more advice or tell her anything, but if you want to preserve the friendship, then invite her to the wedding and patch it all up after the honeymoon. If you think H being at the wedding will be more drama than its worth, then don't invite her.
    Posted by amberlynned[/QUOTE]

<div>me too</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I voted no and summerbride summed up my reason very well. People like that seem to be toxic after a while and it's time to let go of toxic people.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_should-invite-her?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:54369268-a502-4d0c-8d2f-18cb57eeda08Post:7f459f2c-6d34-434c-9679-a1dcda3175e2">Re: Should I Invite Her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All I can telll you is that friendships can and WILL change over time.  Just because someone was ONCE close to you, there is no need for you to invite them to your wedding.  It seems that this relationship does need to be resolved-good, bad or indifferent. However, YOUR wedding should should be an event filled with family and friends that are supportive- NOT Sabotagers, IMO.
    Posted by summerbride11[/QUOTE]

Ditto all the way
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_should-invite-her?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:54369268-a502-4d0c-8d2f-18cb57eeda08Post:7f459f2c-6d34-434c-9679-a1dcda3175e2">Re: Should I Invite Her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All I can telll you is that friendships can and WILL change over time.  Just because someone was ONCE close to you, there is no need for you to invite them to your wedding.  It seems that this relationship does need to be resolved-good, bad or indifferent. However, YOUR wedding should should be an event filled with family and friends that are supportive- NOT Sabotagers, IMO.
    Posted by summerbride11[/QUOTE]

And Amberlynn's comment
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. The more I think about the things she's done to hurt my feelings, the more likely I am to not invite her. I want people in my life who are going to encourage me and not judge me. I need friends who will not always give their opinion and who won't always tell my business. She's referred to me by using a nickname that's not even fair. I can't continue to be friends with someone who is not going to be my friend.

Again, thanks to all of you for your help and understanding where I'm coming from with this issue. Stay blessed.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello KMB611 :  I'm super late on this one... but based solely on what you described in your post... Leave her where she wants to be.... OUT!!!  Like my mother used to tell me all the time.... "Baaaby... everybody don't want the best for you."  It's unfortunate that it must be that way, but as time moves on and we get older and grow... we must come to the realization that everybody doesnt want the best for us.. and sometimes folks will "curse" you with their negative comments, thoughts of doubt and fear... which is where she is... and I don't even know her... Misery loves company...and I wouldn't keep her company.... Whatever she may have said or done.... Let it go!!!  Not for her sake, but for yours... and with that said... let her go too... She's done... She has served her purpose... and that was to make you stronger.... Folks come into our lives for a season and a reason.... Her season is over... Keep it movin'!!!!  You are moving into a season of happiness and fulfillment... Let that and her go.....That's done.... If your heart says that both your parents should give you away... then that is what it shall be....I hope this helps you and that's just my opinion. And moving forward don't share anything else with her....wedding related or not... She is a hinderance.....If she found out anything else about me....good, bad or indifferent... It would be thru the grapevine..... and everybody knows that grapevine news... aint no news at all...
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Magnum...everything you said is true. I came to the realization a long time ago that friends good friends come and those we don't need go. FI thinks I should talk it our with her, but I'm tired of it all. I've moved on. Why talk to someone who is going to make things look like they're all my fault. Thanks again :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you have to think about whether or not to invite someone to your wedding they are not too important in your life. Therefore they should not be invited.
  • edited December 2011

Cool Beans

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards