African American Weddings
Options

Holidays

So FI and are debating pushing out Memorial Day 2012 wedding back a few months. We want it on a holiday weekend so that we can have it on a weekday and score the discounts associated. I'm a teacher, he's a student/cook so we're out of touch with the holidays people usually have off or would hate to give up.

Which holiday is the least intrusive and would you be most likely to attend a wedding on?
577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary

Re: Holidays

• Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is on Labor Day weekend 2012 albeit on the Saturday and not the actual Monday holiday.  I wasn't too worried about the holiday in terms of people not wanting to give it up.  I figured those who really care and want to be there will be there.  If not, so be it.  The only holidays I never considered were Christmas and Thanksgiving as I know those are heavy laden in family traditions. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    UI originally wanted a New Years Eve wedding, instead I have a July 4, wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted New Year's a wedding would be a great way to kick off the new year . With Columbus Day I will warn you the only people who normally have that off are federal employees (banks, post office, government employees)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. He likes the NYE idea but since we're having a brunch reception I was kind of worried about having it the day after a "drinking" holiday
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, not MLK!!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind going on MLK or Columbus Day. I'm usually home on those holidays anyway. Like you said, the other 2 are family-oriented hollidays. If I had to choose between MLK & Columbus Day, I would choose Columbus Day because there's a better chance of good weather in Oct than Jan. JMO
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would choose Columbus Day b/c I don't really care about that holiday.  Although I do agree with the PP that not everybody has off on that day.  But then again they don't automatically get off for MLK Day either and I think New Years and Thanksgiving are off limits in my mind.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I voted for New Years Day.  That would be a great way to start off the New Year.   I am planning a Thanksgiving wedding.  We are getting married in Myrtle Beach.  Its the off-season and we are getting great deals from vendors.  Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks and family, so why not throw a wedding in there. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is July 4 weekend and so far the reply cards are coming back with "Accepts!" Out of the dates you had in the poll I woudl defs stay away from Thanksgiving and NYDay could be iffy as well to me. I voted for Columbus Day but not too many people have that day off.....have you conmsidered a Thursday or even a Friday before a Monday holiday? You can still get a cheaper rate but you still have the weekend turn out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is Columbus Day weekend this year, but not on the actual Monday. We also chose that weekend to get the benefits of a non-Saturday wedding but people still being able to come.
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    I considered July 4th but it had to go because we're in FL and I can't get married in 100 degrees on the beach. I was iffy about Columbus day because, as you all confirmed, not many people have that off! Looks like MLK and New Year's Day are the strong contenders. If we're throwing the party for NYE it's the same as going out anyways!
  • Options
    lsk40lsk40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you have it on thanksgiving or would it be on the friday after because if its on the friday after that could be nice to have a brunch the next morning
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    We were skeptical about thanksgiving because its destination for everyone involved and that is one of the worst/most expensive travel weekends. Tickets are $150 more than what they are the other weekends and traffic is pretty bad. Hotels would be cheaper but I would hate to do that to my guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards