African American Weddings
Options

DoC.??

So my venue contract says that we only get an hour before our rental time to set up anything that the venue itself doesn't provide. For me that's the centerpieces, and putting the menus and programs down. I'm worried about that getting done in an hour. The hour before the wedding starts I'm gonna be getting my dress on and stuff. No way I can set up. My BMs are gonna be dressed, don't want them setting up in their dresses and make up sweating out their hair. I dnt want to rely on anyone else, because there's a huge chance it won't be done the way I want, or people will back out last minute. The venue said they can set up my centerpieces as long as they're not elaborate, which I don't think they are. But somebody will need to oversee them in case they have questions. I'm really leaning towards a DoC so I don't have to stress over this. Is it worth it.?? Are yu ladies getting one.?? Or for the married sistas, did you have one.??
May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DoC.??

• Options
    I didn't have one. I couldn't afford one. I leand on my cousins and my daughters. we had 2 hours beforehand and it was very tight. I would recommend ou get a DOC if you can afford one becuse we were working down to the wire and we got dressed at the venue. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Luckily, A DoC comes with our package and they are allowing us to come in the night before (if there is no event going on) or as early as 7am that morning. Im hoping for the night before as my uncle set my hair appt for 8am the morning of the wedding. 

So in your case I would definitly hire a DoC to do the set up and just have them reporting to you every 15 to 20 mins with pics showing the progress of the set up so you can still critique while you're getting ready. 
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
  • Options
    Definitely get a day of coordinator. You don't want to have to do any of those things that day. Now, you don't have to get one that's too expensive. 
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • Options
    1000% get one. And one that is recommended! I am having one and I already told her: "Dont call or tell me anything" She is getting her team to setup and handling all issues not related to monetary matters under $100. With one hour I would definetley say you need a doc with a team to make sure everything is in place.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    What questions do you ask them on the first initial interview.??
    May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I asked:

How much do you charge for your day off package?
    Will you be available if I have questions along the way even if I do not purchase your full planning package?
    How many weddings have you coordinated? May I see pictures?
    Will it be just you or do you have a team/ interns? How many will be assigned to my wedding based on my guest count?
    What won't you do?
    How comfortable are you with maintaining order if you see things go awry?
    What type of day of communication system do you use?
    What do you have that will be available for my use?

and if you're bold./..

Do you offer teacher, student, AAA, AARP, or University of Florida/Central Florida/Florida State Alumni discounts?
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    My venue comes with DOC and my aunt will be helping out as well.
    **I am getting married to Mr. Wonderful on 11/3/2012**
  • Options
    I definitely recommend getting one if its within your budget. I had one and it helped my day go a little smoother.
  • Options
    Definitely hire one if you can! My venue has one to oversee what's going on there, but I hired her as my "exclusive" DOC because she will be helping with timeline, coordinating rehearsal at the church and whatever else I need her to do. I'm a year out almost and we email all the time now about little stuff.....she will also be getting prices and coordinating any meetings I will have with vendors , like cake baker and rentals, florists, etc....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • Options
    Definitely hire one if you can! My venue has one to oversee what's going on there, but I hired her as my "exclusive" DOC because she will be helping with timeline, coordinating rehearsal at the church and whatever else I need her to do. I'm a year out almost and we email all the time now about little stuff.....she will also be getting prices and coordinating any meetings I will have with vendors , like cake baker and rentals, florists, etc....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61e244f3-9e24-4828-8f07-2d8daaf86572Post:e86ce538-61fe-45ad-9e4c-82336b3e9027">DoC.??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my venue contract says that we only get an hour before our rental time to set up anything that the venue itself doesn't provide. For me that's the centerpieces, and putting the menus and programs down. I'm worried about that getting done in an hour. The hour before the wedding starts I'm gonna be getting my dress on and stuff. No way I can set up. My BMs are gonna be dressed, don't want them setting up in their dresses and make up sweating out their hair. I dnt want to rely on anyone else, because there's a huge chance it won't be done the way I want, or people will back out last minute. The venue said they can set up my centerpieces as long as they're not elaborate, which I don't think they are. But somebody will need to oversee them in case they have questions. I'm really leaning towards a DoC so I don't have to stress over this. Is it worth it.?? Are yu ladies getting one.?? Or for the married sistas, did you have one.??
    Posted by shano06[/QUOTE]

YES its worth it! I'm a WP outside of my day job and I promise it will save you a lot of stress and potential overage costs. I would suggest a DOC so you don't even have to think about anything to do. IF you can't afford it int he budget, then I would suggest having a team of hostesses that can do it for you and someone who is going to coordinate. The coordinator / manager for the venue has the best interest of the venue, not the couple. They are there to make sure that your vendors and guests are treating the property correctly, not to make sure that your wedding starts on time and is executed how you want.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61e244f3-9e24-4828-8f07-2d8daaf86572Post:e86ce538-61fe-45ad-9e4c-82336b3e9027">DoC.??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my venue contract says that we only get an hour before our rental time to set up anything that the venue itself doesn't provide. For me that's the centerpieces, and putting the menus and programs down. I'm worried about that getting done in an hour. The hour before the wedding starts I'm gonna be getting my dress on and stuff. No way I can set up. My BMs are gonna be dressed, don't want them setting up in their dresses and make up sweating out their hair. I dnt want to rely on anyone else, because there's a huge chance it won't be done the way I want, or people will back out last minute. The venue said they can set up my centerpieces as long as they're not elaborate, which I don't think they are. But somebody will need to oversee them in case they have questions. I'm really leaning towards a DoC so I don't have to stress over this. Is it worth it.?? Are yu ladies getting one.?? Or for the married sistas, did you have one.??
    Posted by shano06[/QUOTE]

I can refer a few to you in the DC area.....or shoot I fly free....I could come do it for you!  :)
    image180 Made the cut!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61e244f3-9e24-4828-8f07-2d8daaf86572Post:88797cd2-bd23-4f10-b9cd-f47867ea7dfc">Re: DoC.??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked: How much do you charge for your day off package? Will you be available if I have questions along the way even if I do not purchase your full planning package? How many weddings have you coordinated? May I see pictures? Will it be just you or do you have a team/ interns? How many will be assigned to my wedding based on my guest count? What won't you do? How comfortable are you with maintaining order if you see things go awry? What type of day of communication system do you use? What do you have that will be available for my use? and if you're bold./.. <strong>Do you offer teacher, student, AAA, AARP, or University of Florida/Central Florida/Florida State Alumni discounts</strong>?
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Police or just because you like me discounts ;)
    image180 Made the cut!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:61e244f3-9e24-4828-8f07-2d8daaf86572Post:c5a175b2-0893-44c9-898b-6b1ed8367c03">Re: DoC.??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DoC.?? :<strong> Don't forget Police or just because you like me discounts ;)
    </strong>Posted by MrsSmith2Be02[/QUOTE]

LMBO @ the just because you like me discounts!...

I had a DOC for my wedding day, and although I was against it at first, I think it was money very well spent!.. She is a friend of the family that happened to be a wedding planner. She gave me a really good price, and even went above and beyond to help me during the week of the wedding without charging me any more money!. It saved my nerves on the day of, as they were already frayed from having to DIY the centerpieces, favors, altar and pew flowers, personal flowers, and running around with the family that decided to come in early!... She made sure everything was to our liking at the venue, and that things ran smoothly... Like I said.. get a DOC... you willl NOT regret it!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards