African American Weddings
Options

New Member...HELP!!!!

Good Morning my fellow sister's.  I am just joining the Knot and I am very excited!  I just got engaged and my wedding will be in November.  I need all the help my sister's can muster, I have never did this wedding thing before.  I live in Indianapolis, IN and I'm having a destination wedding in Miami.  I have no idea where to start.  I need ideas on venue and what I should and shouldn't be doing.  My destination wedding is going to be a vacation/wedding for close friends and family.  HELP ME!!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New Member...HELP!!!!

• Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

You and your FI should start with deciding on your budget, once you know where you are budget wise you can start researching venues. If you have family in the Miami area maybe they can start looking into some places for you or you can google hotels or reception venues in Miami.

check this site too
    http://www.weddingwire.com/shared/Search?l=y&cid=11&geo=Miami%2C+Florida

Good luck!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome to the board!
    I agree with the pp (previous poster) but I would also like to add that if possible you should get a coordinator in the Miami area. They would be able to help with finding vendors and alot of other things you may find to be a challenge while planning a destination wedding.
  • Options
    msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!!!  Congrats on your engagement.  I am a November Bride also.  I agree with MsApril.  You should set your budget first and go from there.  There are great places in Miami to have a wedding.  Good luck with your planning and have fun. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_new-memberhelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:63f2232c-3a11-4f53-a8a1-653dc37b91c4Post:496be1d7-0eb0-4994-8002-62dbbdb95262">Re: New Member...HELP!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations and welcome to the board! I agree with the pp (previous poster) but I would also like to add that if possible you should get a coordinator in the Miami area. They would be able to help with finding vendors and alot of other things you may find to be a challenge while planning a destination wedding.
    Posted by hisSparklett[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I think a coordinator for a destination wedding is a must. Oh...congrats by the way & welcome to the board!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats on your recent engagement. I am planning my wedding in Miami so I can help you if need be.  The women on the South Florida Board are great at giving recommending places.  Be sure you have a budget that way they can recommend some places. 

There was an AAW bride that had her wedding at The Robert Shane Center (Miami Beach).Or if you're looking for waterfront Rusty Pelican would be renovated by then.  There are many outdoor locations as well and a knottie on there is having her wedding on a yacht as well.  I considered that at one point. You can get one for a very reasonable price.  Page or PM me if you have any other questions!

Oh one great site to hit up if you're trying to stick on a budget is www.eventsonabudget.com They are a great resource and can help you plan your entire wedding with all vendors included at various venues for roughly 100/person.

Happy planning!!
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much Sadou02, I sooo want to become your Bestie LOL!!!!  thanks again for your advice.  I do plan to have a beach side ceremony.  I would love to have my rehersal dinner on a yatch.  My guests would love that one, about what is the cost?  I was thinking South beach for the ceremony but if you know of a more reasonable and more beautiful location let me know.  I had thought about having my wedding at a hotel that way I can do a package for myself and my guests.  What do you think of that or do you think it would be better to peace meal it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    South Beach is a very public beach.  If you're considering some place that you can have a private ceremony at I would consider Bal Harbor which is about 60-80 blocks North of  true South Beach.  Trust thats not a far distance as the streets on Miami Beach are not that long.  Another nice area would be South Point Park which is the southern most tip of Miami Beach. A very beautiful area.  If not the Dade County area the next beautiful beach area is Hollywood Beach, which is about 30 minutes north of Miami Beach or SoBe.

The hotels down here do charge a lot but they are nice.  You could consider Bank of America Tower which is in Downtown Miami and not too far from SoBe. Places on the beach include Loews, South Beach Marriott, The National, and The Palms.

As far as the yacht, the young lady on the other board is using Sun Dream Yachts. They have 3 different boats of various size (www.sundreamyachts.com 954-765-1460, ask to speak to David George).  I had contact and was able to meet with owners of the Musette (www.cafrienterprises.com 954-522-5067, ask to speak to Sherri)  They were able to work with a budget number I gave to them. Only reason I didnt book is because my parents were afraid of people not wanting to take the trip or being afraid of open water.  With the yachts, it is cheapest to meet them in Ft. Lauderdale to avoid paying a crazy fuel/docking charge.

Hope this general info helps.  Biggest thing, make sure your budget is set so that you become frustrated with some of these crazy vendors.

If you have anymore questions dont be hesitant to page me or send me an email at sandrao02@live.com
    image139 Made the list!
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah. I found the Bride who had her wedding at The Robert Shane Center in Miami Beach.  Her knottie name is MIABRIDENTAMPA.

I added her pictures and a teaser video of her ceremony which makes me tear each time I watch it.

http://www.folaadewole.com/blog/2010/08/kaila-joey-miami-wedding-florida/

http://belvedere-films.com/2010/09/kaila-joey/

Hope these help as well.
    image139 Made the list!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards