African American Weddings
Options

NWR: Insomnia

By the time you read this, I will have probably just fallen asleep. The current time is 4:05 am and I-Am-Not-Happy. I'm a sufferer of insomnia. I'm talking about wake up at 9am stay up until 10am. I don't know what's been wrong with me lately. When my oldest started school in August I was getting to bed by 12am or 1am, which for me is good (if I fall asleep any sooner than midnight, I wake up around 3 or 4 and stay up til 7 or 8). My sleep pattern has been jacked up for the past week or so, so I'm only averaging 4-6 hours of sleep a day, all in 2-3 hr snatches...Again, I'm not happy. I usually don't start feeling tired until about 5:30-6am, and even then it isn't a guarantee that I'll go to bed. The other night I played "What else needs to be done?" From 3am (when I first started getting sleepy) until 10am (when I finally went to sleep). Everytime I got close to laying down there was something else I wanted to do, it was horrible. Then tonight, i actually got sleepy around 11:45 "THANK GOD" I thought. Y'all not even hearing me, I was passed out by 12:15, 12:30 at the latest....and then I felt sick, woke up at 3 and I'm still up- wide awake as a matter of fact. I could cry I'm so irritated. I have a house full of kids I have to do deal with, errands to run, house to clean etc, etc, not getting the sleep I need, when I need it is really messing with me....oh well, I guess I'll go look at digital cameras and read a couple of articles or something.

Re: NWR: Insomnia

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good Morning Seven.... Maybe you should see a Dr. if this persists... Sleep deprivation isnt good for the body or the mental state.  Maybe you can troubleshoot yourself and see what in your daily or weekly pattern has changed... It could be hormonal... I think you should definately investigate it further if it persists... Our bodies need reasonably reliable sleep patterns in order to function effectively.... I would check it out... JMHO...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree! You should get it checked out asap. I can't say I can relate, but I know how it feels to have a hard time falling asleep when everyone else in the house is sound asleep. Usually I experience it when I have a lot on my mind or upset about something. Hope it gets better for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum most of the time. My FI is convinced that I'm narcoleptic although I know I'm just busy...which makes me tired...which means I go to sleep on his night-owl behind.

I said that to say, I can't exactly relate, but I can sympathize. I can't imagine WANTING to sleep and not being able to go more often than once every blue moon. I agree with the pps that you should go see a doctor and try to figure out what's going on. Hopefully, you can find a solution. I don't know that this is the BEST option, but if you don't have an allergy to Benadryl, maybe take one to see if it puts you to sleep. The pharmacist that I used to work with suggested that to people with temporary insomnia because it isn't addictive as some sleep meds can be.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know the feeling. I few years ago I had the same problem I would try my hardest to fall asleep but I never could. It was so bad I would sleep like 5-7 hours in 2days total. I was afraid to take anything and I had heard to take Benadryl to help fall asleep but that was out of the question because I'm asthmatic and can't take it. So after a few weeks I went to the doctor and he gave me a 7 day prescription for Ambien. It worked like a charm. After I finished the medication I was able to go to sleep with no problems until a few months ago but it is not as near as bad as it was in the past. When I do have restless nights I take a Advil PM and that knocks me out or I drink a glass of wine which helps relax me to fall asleep. I hope everything gets better and I agree with the other ladies you should see a doctor. I know how irritating it can be to want to fall asleep and can't
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hotrocker2011hotrocker2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That happened to me about a few years go, while i was still in school, so YES i feel you, having to get up at 8am to get ready for school and only getting about 3-4 hours of sleep, really sucked, thank god it only lasted about 2 months, i went to the doctor ASAP,  He kinda looked at me crazy and said....

Doc: " Well Ms. Frazier it sound like you have your days and nights mixed up"
    Me: "Well what can i do, to fix it"
    Doc: ' Well let me consult someone else and we can go form there, one moment please"

Doc leaves the room...Im like WTF.....
    Doc returns with another doctor:

Doc #2: " Tell me what's been going on Ms. Frazier"
    Me: (explains the problem)
    Doc #2:"Hmmmm that's sound like a problem"
    Me: Im thinking no sh**
    Doc #2: Have you tied any sleeping pills?
    Me: No, I hate pills and i heard they are very additive"
    Doc #2: Well you can try some allergy pills, they can have the same effect, as the sleeping pills but do not have the same things in them so there is very little chance of getting addicted to them"

when I went to the drug store, I bought the "generic" sleeping pills and "generic allergy meds, i first tried the allergy med it work a little and but i would always wake up after few hours, so i use the sleeping pills, i just took one at night before i went to bed and on the 3rd day i did't take anything so this way can  maybe train my body to sleep at night, after about a month i was fine, i still have problems from time to time but not as nearly as bad as it once was.

You can try that idea, but still go to the doc, they might be able to tell you different things that maybe wrong....Hope that helps....GL...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    7venAfricano7venAfricano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much lady. I will have to go to the doctor because I'm getting madder. Last night/this morning irked my nerves to say the least. I think I do have my nights and days mixed up which is not cool because I'm not a newborn infant and have things to get accomplished so staying up all night and sleeping here and there during the day doesn't work with all the things I have to do with the kids etc. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has sleep issues, even if they aren't exactly the same.

@hotrocker and meeko- seems like y'all could be my insomnia twins lol. I've suffered from insomnia for years but it seems to have gotten way worst as of late. my sleeping habits have never been the greatest but this is getting to be too much. I'm willing to try the pill idea until I can get in to see my doctor.

@eagles - sorry your FI thinks you're narcoleptic. my old employer use to think that about me, unbeknownst to him, the reason why I was sleeping until noon after making his breakfast is because every night after I made sure he was asleep, I went out to free my mind. Staying with a 90yr old man 24hrs a day, 7 days a week with no off days was working on my then 21yr old mind Tongue out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards