African American Weddings
Options

First Dance Song?

We may have had a post about this in the past (if so, sorry) but I want to know what everyone has chosen for their first dance with their FH!

Our is Donny Hathaway's "You Were Meant For Me".
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: First Dance Song?

• Options
    TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe we will do

Avant f/Keke Wyatt - My First Love

He is my first (and only) love and although he has been in relationships in the past, he says I am his true First Love

GOSH I love that man so much!!!
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We picked Monica's 'Angel of Mine' because my FI is convinced I am his Angel sent to hiim by God. The first time he heard that song he bawled his eyes out. It was instant that would be the song.
    Photobucket
    "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours"
    Janae & Olivier

Anniversary
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:9eefd93b-22fc-42c4-90a1-5f5dac40abb3">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe we will do Avant f/Keke Wyatt - My First Love He is my first (and only) love and although he has been in relationships in the past, he says I am his true First Love GOSH I love that man so much!!!
    Posted by TysWife2Be[/QUOTE]

<div>That is such a great song!  I always loved that one, and I love that it has a special meaning for you two.  There won't be a dry eye in the place!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:cf475944-071a-47ba-b294-aa33a7ba8278">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We picked Monica's 'Angel of Mine' because my FI is convinced I am his Angel sent to hiim by God. The first time he heard that song he bawled his eyes out. It was instant that would be the song.
    Posted by JKeyes2011[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow, that song is amazing - and I love the story of how deeply your FI felt it.  From his reaction, there was no other song that would fit!!!!!  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cincy - You are making me teary eyed right now...

Photobucket

• Options
    happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it will be All I Ever Ask by Najee.  It's FI favorite song and the lyrics are awesome!! I will probably be balling when we dance.
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are dancing to "Spend My Life With You" by Eric Benet
    (feat. Tamia)

My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:414d986c-9486-4a90-af77-6dedd6d8fb49">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dinah Washington's version of "What a Difference a Day Makes"
    Posted by OFF[/QUOTE]

<div>This is a beautiful song, so fitting for a first dance!  And unique, I haven't heard of anyone using it before.   Exactly what I would expect from you! </div>
  • Options
    csuperstar02csuperstar02 member
    edited December 2011
    We are going to do Anthony Hamilton The Point of It All (<---clicky and listen, geez I love this song) and Lauryn Hill/ D'angelo "Nothing Even Matters"  The 2nd is "our" song, so we don't want to abandon it completely, but I just "lurve" that darn point of it all song!

?Well-behaved women rarely make history.?

?PAL/PGAL Welcome!?

Untitled

?BFP #1~4.29.11 | Blighted Ovum DX~6.2.11 | D&C~6.9.11?

Dx Unicornuate Uterus 4.12

?BFP #2~10.12.12,EDD 6.27.13| 11.8.12 - no growth :(| natural m/c 11.25.12| D&C 2.8.13 ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:5a0598bd-dfec-4d31-8e16-1c49987d572f">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cincy - You are making me teary eyed right now...
    Posted by TysWife2Be[/QUOTE]

<div>Girl, you and me both!  I need some serious water-proof make up for my wedding day b/c I won't be able to hold it together!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I need water-proof make up too!!!

I am such a cry baby!!!

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    John Legend "Stay With You" or possibly Robin Thicke "Against the World"
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:a413c45a-8ad4-4920-b755-03ff523912f9">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it will be All I Ever Ask by Najee.  It's FI favorite song and the lyrics are awesome!! I will probably be balling when we dance.
    Posted by happe2gether[/QUOTE]

<div>I am listening to this now on You Tube b/c I never heard it before.  All I can say is WOW!  The lyrics are so on point!!!!  The sax at the beginning is amazing!!  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:cbc595d6-7cbb-42ec-81cd-ab69fab7ab16">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are dancing to "Spend My Life With You" by Eric Benet (feat. Tamia)
    Posted by YasJas2011[/QUOTE]

<div>This is such a great song - Tamia's voice is so perfect...she's so underrated!!  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:46452df9-fe28-4dea-aa4c-f228db75a667">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to do Anthony Hamilton The Point of It All (<---clicky and listen, geez I love this song) and Lauryn Hill/ D'angelo "Nothing Even Matters"  The 2nd is "our" song, so we don't want to abandon it completely, but I just "lurve" that darn point of it all song!
    Posted by csuperstar02[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Girl, when that song (Point of It All) came out FI called me and told me he thinks of me every time it comes on.  Awwwww I was in tears!  That song has such a special place in my heart b/c of that.  Great choice!  

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance will be to Etta James' At Last.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:978d3d49-fadc-4a0d-bfaa-ffcf0fc70823">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]John Legend "Stay With You" or possibly Robin Thicke "Against the World"
    Posted by missrekaeagle[/QUOTE]

<div>I love that John Legend song!  It was one of the stand-outs on that album, in my opinion.  Going to You Tube now to listen to the Robin Thicke song...</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:04f992d0-0010-49e1-aa8e-ec8aada32bb9">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our first dance will be to Etta James' At Last.
    Posted by markandtiffany[/QUOTE]

<div>Gorgeous song!  I'm glad you're doing Etta's version vs. Beyonce's.  Nothing against Beyonce, but Etta just did her thing!!!!! </div>
  • Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:cbc595d6-7cbb-42ec-81cd-ab69fab7ab16">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are dancing to "Spend My Life With You" by Eric Benet (feat. Tamia)
    Posted by YasJas2011[/QUOTE]

<div>Yas, I love that song! </div><div>
    </div><div>We're doing "Sweetest Love" by Robin Thicke</div>
  • Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:978d3d49-fadc-4a0d-bfaa-ffcf0fc70823">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]John Legend "Stay With You" or possibly Robin Thicke "Against the World"
    Posted by missrekaeagle[/QUOTE]

<div>My brother and sister-in-law danced to "Stay With You" and it was beautiful. It's a great song choice.</div>
  • Options
    happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's funny how the lyrics can say something to you.  Great choices everyone!! I love a good ballad!

The funny thing is FI knows his R&B but always try to throw me off by pulling out an OOOLLLLDDD song like the Najee when it comes to the wedding music. 

80 said yes image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan.  FI proposed to me by carving The Question in a tub of Friendly's Vienna Mocha Chip (the ring was stuck in it, too), so the song is perfect for us. :)

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of going with Dave Hollister-Forever
  • Options
    lca315girllca315girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To Make You Feel My Love. It's orginially done by Bob Dylan, but we're dancing to the version done by Adele. I cried the first time I heard it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:46452df9-fe28-4dea-aa4c-f228db75a667">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to do Anthony Hamilton The Point of It All (<---clicky and listen, geez I love this song) and Lauryn Hill/ D'angelo "Nothing Even Matters"  The 2nd is "our" song, so we don't want to abandon it completely, but I just "lurve" that darn point of it all song!
    Posted by csuperstar02[/QUOTE]

I LOVE "The Point of It All", my mom will be singing that at our ceremony. I think we are going to do "How Sweet it Is" by Marvin Gaye. That's my favorite option so far, plus we can have fun with it
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!! I was wanting some ideas! :-D
    I've told FI that he should make a big list - and then we can just dance around our living room til we find THE one! :-)   I LOVE "I was made to love you" by Gerald Levert- but there is ONE verse that makes it not okay for me (talkin' bout one night stands, grrr!)

I can't wait to pick a song though!
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:094c1a78-5230-45f4-a66f-81c6de1f7c4d">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're dancing to "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan.  FI proposed to me by carving The Question in a tub of Friendly's Vienna Mocha Chip (the ring was stuck in it, too), so the song is perfect for us. :)
    Posted by kikibird[/QUOTE]

I love this!  So cute and personal - I love the special connection it has to your proposal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_first-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:69df8650-6e44-4e1a-824e-edd31af70386Post:2c161655-a25d-4bbb-bbd3-bbc1025e0e3b">Re: First Dance Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of going with Dave Hollister-Forever
    Posted by ehampto[/QUOTE]

Girl Dave's voice is amazing!  I love his work...
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cincy, I was actually thinking about your first dance song yesterday because it came on, well, no, it was another Donny Hathaway song that came on the other day, but anyways, I thought of your song because You Were Meant For Me is my fav Donny Hathaway song.  And I go, that's Cincy and her FI's song.  LOL So I'm like all cleaning up and singing out loud, not doing the song any justice.  LOL I told a friend of mine that I wished her dad could come to my wedding and sing that song.  He sings that song sooo beautifully.  Anywayz, great choice!  I love the story behind that song for you guys too.  

FI and I are dancing to Couldn't Love You More by Sade.  I tried to do a whole thing where I asked our guests to choose our first dance song by voting on our website, but no1 picked anything, so I just went with a song that we both liked.  The night FI proposed he had Sade playing, so I just thought that would be appropriate.  We both love Sade and I've always liked that song, so, Sade it is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards