African American Weddings
Options

DIY Projects

Ladies,

With the wedding 4 months away & bills piling up.. I am seriously considering 3 DIY projects: wedding programs, wedding CDs as favors & invitations. Any ideas or suggestions that you can pass along to me? Any software I need to buy?

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed right now.

At least my save-the-date magnets have been mailed as of noon today!!

I feel so behind in all of this :(

Debbie

Re: DIY Projects

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well congrats on getting the save the dates out! There is no need to buy any software. If you have the basics (Microsoft word, Microsoft Publisher and Microsoft powerpoint) you should be fine. If you look in my Planning Bio, I have some Templetes for some of the things that you need (under All things Paper I think). All these things are super easy to do. Good luck!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Out of those 3, I DIY my programs. I just used word and had them printed at Staples. It was pretty easy, granted they were nothing fancy or anything.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I DIY'ed my programs and wedding invitations using Microsoft Publisher.  Pics in bio.  I bought my material from Cards and Pockets and cardstock from paper-papers.com.  Really easy once you get into the swing of things.  I got it all printed up at Fed Ex Office (formerly Kinko's) and double sided sticky tape became my new best friend, lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    dragonflaidragonflai member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does the software that you are using to burn the cds have a labels and cover program included? If so you can use that to do the favors. For the programs, I just suggest putting them together like a folded piece of paper and add a cute ribbon and maybe a few embellishments to it and instant cute program. As for the invites my bff just went to Target and bought a kit and we printed them at home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I semi-DIY'd my invitations and plan to do my programs as well. I just used one of the BRIDES sets from Michael's. They were really easy to print and I just embellished with some ribbon. Using 50% off coupons, the sets were really affordable.

• Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out this website for different templates and DIY projects.  http://weddings.shanbritedesigns.com/templates.htm
    Awesome AAW Knottie kimandwillie has it on her planning bio. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies. KNottie Kim & Willie: we have the same dress!!! I am browsing templates now. Just ordered some stuff from Hobby Lobby, sent an email to Crafty Eddy for my cake topper, & will check into wedding invites in a box this weekend.

As for the CDs, a soror just called & told me she has a machine that burns 3 at a time, so she's taking care of that for me.

Thanks
    Debbie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know what I also realized, when I tried to do my own invitations, I ended up spending more money than I would have if I had just purchased them.  Some projects I have definitely saved money on (such as the programs, STDs, etc...) but just make sure that doing a large project like the invitations yourself will actually help you than hurt you. 
    Expecting Two Little Knuckleheads in June! BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All excellent points, thanks! Just ordered my cake topper from Crafty Eddy. Now on to ordering my bling so I can work on the cake topper during MLK weekend when I'm off.

As for wedding invites, I have 2 sorors who recently got married & did their own. They are gonna shop with me & help pick the paper & do the invites with me, so I pray I'm OK in this area.

Debbie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DSTbride15 - First off, Hey, Soror!  :) Can't believe we have the same dress! Great minds think alike!

What are your wedding colors? I ask because there are a couple of BRIDES sets that I love, but just didn't go with my color scheme.

I've always thought I'd have a white/ivory, brack, and red wedding, but the colors  just seemed to clash with our venue, so I'm doing ivory, chocolate, and peach. Wierd, I know, but it really works in the space.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Kim, hey soror!!!!!

my colors are burnt orange, green & champagne gold...Sounds weird, but actually looks really good.

Yes we have the same dress, that's cool!!

any tips, ideas, etc you can give would be helpful. Feel free to email me at chesterfieldst@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Deb

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards