African American Weddings
Options

E-Party Question

I've already asked Eagles this, but I wanted everyone's input.

One of my BMs is set on throwing us an e-party, which we're both cool with. {I don't really know the full purpose of having one, but I like parties! lol} The party will be for no more than 30 ppl. She was planning it to be at a restaurant, Maggiano's. She and her husband are going to pay for FI and me. BUT she wanted to know how I felt about having the guests pay for themselves. I replied, "Yeah, I don't think we should pick what they have to eat and then they pay for it. So, maybe we can just do something small with finger foods and fruit trays or something like that."

Eagles suggested something similar to what I suggested to her. What do you ladies think? Because I've never planned, attended, or expected to have an e-party.

Re: E-Party Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Although I love Maggiano's, I think it would be best to have something small with finger foods.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what she is describing is inviting folk out for a dinner.  if she can't pay for everyone else, she needs to do heavy apps  like the fruit trays, cheese trays and drinks.  most folk would probably appreciate that.  get a few bottles of wine and let the music play!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP & I don't think people attend parties with the intent of getting a "full meal"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP - since it's only about 30 people, something along the lines of finger foods and some drinks will be great.  If you do something like that, would it be at someone's home vs. a restaurant?
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. If she is expecting everyone else to pay for themselves it is really not them throwing you guys a party it is just her inviting your friends out to eat.  So go with the apps and maybe the first round of drinks and if people want a meal they can get one to go or order and pay for it themselves. IMHO.
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_e-party-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:82cabee1-74c5-498a-9234-e243abfb3df0Post:4c305452-792a-448b-a6eb-efe7a8e2736c">Re: E-Party Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP - since it's only about 30 people, something along the lines of finger foods and some drinks will be great.  If you do something like that, would it be at someone's home vs. a restaurant?
    Posted by banks69[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, someone's house. Just have to figure out whose house! lol. Her and her husband are downgrading so it can't be theirs. :-(</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, well the finger foods, drinks would definitely work.  Just thought about it....we didn't have an engagement party!  I guess it's too late for that now! 
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I agree. Thats pretty much asking everyone to go to dinner not really throwing you guys a party. My moh, threw ours at dave and busters, in a private room , with pool tables. She brought us a cake from our favorite bakery and just had them serve appetizers. It was a great way for both sides of our immediate families to meet and mingle. And the pool tables really helped. Maybe she can see if maggianos has an apps menu. Or look into another venue that does.

Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    edited December 2011
    I think I'll suggest Lucky Strike Bowling. But after my email, she said she has something else in mind, so I know she'll work it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love lucky strike !! But ours is alway so crowded, that you have to wait for a lane. Which means alot of drinking before games, which usually turns into only one game, before everyone bails out. :-(  But almost everytime, someone falls on the lane. So I guess the entertainment makes up for it. lol
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    edited December 2011
    I've never been! And I've been trying to think of excuses to find myself there! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ok I guess since my engagement party was about like your bm suggessted, but it was in more of an open space. I would say just advise your guest!  My cousin threw ours and it was a big hit with our close friends and fam!!  They still talk about how much fun they had!

October AAW Signature Challenge: Where FI and I Met (Jukehouse KCMO) Photobucket Visit Purple.weddings.com http://duaneandlaquita2011.weebly.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards