African American Weddings

YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus

So YAS, remember way back last year I told you that I would come back and ask about the rhinestone gluing ish you did so well? Well, the time has come. LOL!

So in the most simple and detailed manner, can you please tell me how to glue the rhinestones on the cake topper and other letters/words like the ones you made? Please include:

Painting:
I know you painted the letter before starting to glue. What kind of paint did you use (name & model will be good too. LOL) Also Spray or liquid?
I went to Michael's and got so overwhelmed with the selection of paint...

Gluing:
Hotfix tool or glue?
What type of hotfix tool/glue you used
What size rhinestones
What type of rhinestones and whether that makes a difference
How long did it take for the cards sign? You said in your bio 5 hours or so If i remember correctly.Was that just for the topper?
Any advice beside maybe it's not worth it? Ha!

Letters/words:
I am ordering letters from Eddy this week and I am doing Love Is Sweet and table numbers. So I am thinking this for the "Love is Sweet" phrase, y =11x/5, with x being the number of rhinestones you used for your Cards sign and y being how much I need for my letters. So what was is x so I can find my Y?(yep I went there with math formulas-LOL)

Digits:
For the table numbers, I am assuming the digits will be about 4" tall... maybe less. Any thoughts on how much rhinestones I need for each? Maybe half of what you used for your cake topper since that B was pretty elaborate?

That's all. LMAO!

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!! If this is too long to type here, can you please email me @ mypasmita@yahoo.FR?

Anyone who has some info can chip in too! I will take all the help I can get.

Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus

• edited December 2011
    Okay PAS here goes!

Painting:
    I used Acrylic Paint. You can use any color or brand of course, but I used folk Art 656 Metallic Blue Sapphire Acrylic Paint Peinture Acrylique. It is a liquid. 

Gluing:
    Use glue. Clear tacky glue of any kind from the craft store or wal-mart.
    To apply the rhinestones, you can buy an rhinestone applicator (a stick lol!) or you can just use a toothpick.
    What size rhinestones: I got the 12ss and 16ss foiled flat back (CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements 2028 flat back rhinestones)
    What type of rhinestones and whether that makes a difference: Foiled flat back
    How long did it take for the cards sign? You said in your bio 5 hours or so If i remember correctly.Was that just for the topper? I really don't remember if it was for all projects or just that one. Sorry

Any advice beside maybe it's not worth it? Ha!
    LOL! I think it was totally worth it and I had fun doing the projects!

Letters/words:
    I am ordering letters from Eddy this week and I am doing Love Is Sweet and table numbers. So I am thinking this for the "Love is Sweet" phrase, y =11x/5, with x being the number of rhinestones you used for your Cards sign and y being how much I need for my letters. So what was is x so I can find my Y?(yep I went there with math formulas-LOL)
    WOW!! OKAY. LOL!! I will do the best that I can.
    Well I think that I order (2) 10 Gross of flat rhinestones ( 1 in each size) which = 1880 pieces. I completed about 5 items with all of those stones. So I would say that your x is 376 and in the equation given it would be 827.2

Digits:
    For the table numbers, I am assuming the digits will be about 4" tall... maybe less. Any thoughts on how much rhinestones I need for each? Maybe half of what you used for your cake topper since that B was pretty elaborate?

I would have to say about 300 each number I guess. From what I calculated earlier.
    HTH Honey!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    Y'all are too much for me. Sorry I didn't have anything to add...came in for tips. :)
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Oh Yas, You are a super hero for me right now!
    Thank you thank you thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    You are Welcome Pas!! Just holla at me if you have anymore questions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
  • edited December 2011

Yas did you paint the back and front of your cake table letters?
  • edited December 2011

I'm thinking about doing this for my table names...I know the post wasn't for me but thanks.  It's sooo helpful.

He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_yas-other-rhinestone-gluing-gurus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a3e3c77b-a75a-43b0-98ef-776472771636Post:a5b270a9-7709-4e2b-baf1-159fb90adc32">Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yas did you paint the back and front of your cake table letters?
    Posted by 1TriniDiva[/QUOTE]

It looks like she did, and I am planning on doing that...
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I did paint both sides.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a metal Monogram cake topper, I wonder if the same glue and rhinestones will work, beacuse everyone I see on the DIY boards seems to be using the wooden ones from crafty eddysUndecided
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_yas-other-rhinestone-gluing-gurus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a3e3c77b-a75a-43b0-98ef-776472771636Post:38ec591c-0303-4c55-9a74-355eb1ebd9c1">Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a metal Monogram cake topper, I wonder if the same glue and rhinestones will work, beacuse everyone I see on the DIY boards seems to be using the wooden ones from crafty eddys
    Posted by jollysangel[/QUOTE]

I really do think that you can use the glue on the Metal Monogram also. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_yas-other-rhinestone-gluing-gurus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a3e3c77b-a75a-43b0-98ef-776472771636Post:fdf3629f-2ede-482b-9609-0dcbd2279aeb">Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus : It looks like she did, and I am planning on doing that...
    Posted by Mypasmita[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pas......I was worried that I was asking a crazy question but thanks for the help.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_yas-other-rhinestone-gluing-gurus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a3e3c77b-a75a-43b0-98ef-776472771636Post:5a91c08a-9d61-4aa8-a761-5556d3c46ed1">Re: YAS and other rhinestone gluing gurus</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I did paint both sides.
    Posted by YasJas2011[/QUOTE]

Thanks girl.....I might have other question later on.:))
  • edited December 2011
    Okay cool!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards