African American Weddings
Options

No makeup

So FI doesn't want me to wear make up on wedding day. NONE.  I'm lucky enough to have good skin and I don't wear makeup on a daily basis now, but I'm kinda sad he feels this strongly about me not wearing any makeup.  Frown

Re: No makeup

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you have someone apply a very natural look, clear lip gloss, neutral eye colors?  And show him how you can have a little make up and it doesn't look like you have on any at all?

My FI is also against make up but when I should him pictures of natural looks he came around.

Good luck, I don't think you will feel as glamorous on your big day if your skin is completely bare.

Edit: show him a picture like this and see what he says:

Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well you'll have to take into account how you'll look in photos. You don't want that washed out look. Just go with something more natural and not as glamourous. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_makeup-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a94c763d-65b5-41b8-a499-bae2f0471b66Post:6944675b-2e4b-4d7d-be14-18803c35e7bc">Re: No makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you have someone apply a very natural look, clear lip gloss, neutral eye colors?  And show him how you can have a little make up and it doesn't look like you have on any at all? My FI is also against make up but when I should him pictures of natural looks he came around. Good luck, I don't think you will feel as glamorous on your big day if your skin is completely bare.
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  Many men don't realize that no makeup and pro photos don't mix.  They actually believe things like Beyonce's hair is real and she goes natural on a regular basis.  lol.  First, be happy that he likes natural you.  Most men do.  My FI doesn't like me in a lot of makeup.  Next, help FI to understand how you would look with no make up in a pro pic.  It makes us look washed out.  lol.  Maybe he will get it then.  

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take a picture and show the contrast. Or get your makeup done nicely and naturally and the ask him if he likes it. 
    If you were coming in the fall I'd brush the summer by...Emily Dickinson imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is the same way. I don't wear much makeup and he thinks I don't need a professional to apply makeup on the wedding day. Men just don't get it sometimes. Probably you can go for a makeup trial and show him how pictures will look with you sans makeup and with makeup. I'm guessing he's just afraid  that you won't look like yourself or that the makeup will be caked on. These are legitimate concerns but makeup can be done to look very natural. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't wear makeup on a daily basis either, just clear lip gloss.  It is a MUST for your wedding photos.  I had my make up done nice and natural turned out great!!  Explain to him that a natural look is just as good as no makeup and like PP show him a picture or get a trial done. 
  • Options
    lalarochellelalarochelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I was definately going for a natural look in the first place-just a glow look.  I've figured a good compromise is to wash it off after pictures.  Men. lol
  • Options
    empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_makeup-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a94c763d-65b5-41b8-a499-bae2f0471b66Post:79ee594e-89cb-44e1-83af-f20f4dfb8e45">Re: No makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No makeup : This.  Many men don't realize that no makeup and pro photos don't mix.  <strong>They actually believe things like Beyonce's hair is real and she goes natural on a regular basis.  lol.  </strong>First, be happy that he likes natural you.  Most men do.  My FI doesn't like me in a lot of makeup.  Next, help FI to understand how you would look with no make up in a pro pic.  It makes us look washed out.  lol.  Maybe he will get it then.  
    Posted by Fabbiegirl[/QUOTE]

This exactly.. my FI sometimes doesn't know if I have makeup on or not.  He just knows he doesn't like a lot of makeup.  He hates the caked on look. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say maybe go to MAC and have them do a trial on you. VERY natural ( very unlike Mac) and then don't say anything to him, Just show up, see if he notices. When he doesn't or maybe he will look but can't figure out why you may look a little different, then tell him what you did.

I am not saying sneak, I just know my FI is so freakin visual and even if I explain it to him, he won't get it unless he sees it. Also, do you really want to be in your wedding dress on your big day, in the bathroom at your venue washing off make up? That just sounds messy... LOL

I would really find someone to do a light trial on you and show him. It may be worth it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_makeup-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a94c763d-65b5-41b8-a499-bae2f0471b66Post:2395d81d-d3a8-4933-a799-b5c80295d1ee">Re: No makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say maybe go to MAC and have them do a trial on you. VERY natural ( very unlike Mac) and then don't say anything to him, Just show up, see if he notices. When he doesn't or maybe he will look but can't figure out why you may look a little different, then tell him what you did. I am not saying sneak, I just know my FI is so freakin visual and even if I explain it to him, he won't get it unless he sees it. Also, do you really want to be in your wedding dress on your big day, in the bathroom at your venue washing off make up? That just sounds messy... LOL I would really find someone to do a light trial on you and show him. It may be worth it.
    Posted by Ksk2012[/QUOTE]

This. :) I don't wear makeup either well only to church and events and also if I know I'll be taking pictures. I wear MAC and FI can't tell when I have it on. He says the only way he can tell is the mascara because my eyelashes don't look crazy..(I have wild eyelashes). lol.. But get a natural trial and see if your FI notices. He probably has this expectation that it will be something like you see on a runway. lol!  Good luck hun! :) HTH!
  • Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI said the same thing and I am ignoring him. LOL! He has no clue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ITA with the ladies, go for a natural look and show it to him. It's your day to look glamorous so dont let him hold you back :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards