African American Weddings
Options

Tuesday Tips

How do you deal with FI family or friends that you dont necessarily get along with?
AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

Re: Tuesday Tips

• Options
    KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I get along well with FI's family and friends. We've gotten along ever since I've met them and they've welcomed me and treated me just like family.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Fi sister and I have had issues. However, I have learned to feed her with a long handed spoon, fi had to establish some ground rules with her, she thought I was "stealing" her brother from her. Needless to say, she respects me and my space and I do the same for her. At first I was so hell bent on making sure his fam liked and accepted me, because I have no immediate family in Tampa, however I have learned that everyone wont love or like me even if Im marrying into their family, and Im okay with that now. However, that doesnt change how I treat them, Im still nice and respectful, because my mama raised me right:)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we get along great! I love them all in sans the fact that mom(fnil) keeps trying to shove a vegas wedding down our throats lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We get along great because my Fi never deal with them.
    R-Chelle if you are a bride on a budget ,You should look into having a Vegas wedding.
  • Options
    TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im coridal...end of story...LoL!
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as friends I get along with ALL of them - Family I get along with all of them BUT I will say my relationship with 2 people has changed to be cordial (on my end).
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    luckyinloveazluckyinloveaz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI family is kinda scattered some here in AZ, CA, and LA.  His momma passed away a few yrs back never had the chance to meet her. I know she woulda loved me. lol, His dad adores me (also lives with us) and we are really close with his younger brother and fsil. He has 2 aunts that I have met so far and cousins galore. Also has 2 step brothers that we see here and there, not so close to them. His friends all like me (as far as I know) lol  there happy to see him finally getting married at the ripe ol age of 43!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I stay far away from most of his family. Incuding his mammie! His sister and cousin are cool. But I can't stand his mom or aunts! So to keep me from being on the next epsiode of Snapped I just stay away!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    off topic sowwy @shaq123 we looked into it but decided it wasn't for us. Plus we've already booked a venue and the invitations are made so were gunne stick with what we have =], thanks for the rec though
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get along very well with FI's family and his friends.  There was a misunderstanding between one of his friends and I because I was kind of shy when I first met them and he thought I was stuck up.  He knows the truth now and we get along for the most part.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Still learning the art of holding my tongue. We get along but.....his momma has issues! Enough said!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    y'all put miss2mrscj in the corner for her comment : "I stay far away from most of his family. Incuding his mammie!"...HILARITY @ IT'S FINEST!!!

I don't have any sisters so initially I tried HARD to get his sisters to accept me (he has 5 sisters and he's the baby of all of them - DRAMA WITH A CAPITOL D)...but after years passed, the funny thing that happened was his mom & Iactually  became super-duper close because she went thru the same thing with his dad's sisters...so now I am cordial with the SILs as they are NOT my friends and vice versa and we do not KICK IT outside of family functions which works out for all involved...LMBAO @ dat!!!  Tongue out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get along okay with his mother and his aunts when they are not asking for anything! UUGGHH!!! We just moved near them and honestly I am a bit worry that they will get on my nerves! LOLL!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards