African American Weddings
Options

Date Dilemma

Hi ladies. I hope all of you have a fantastic Tyonne Weekend... I mean, 4th of July weekend. lol.

Here's the deal. Babe and I are going through some somewhat difficult financial times. Well, we're in the middle of having to buy a new car on top of other things. Our date, as of now, is March 27, 2011. But CLEARLY with all this other financial stuff going on, we're looking at needing more time. {Just to be on the safe side.} When I mentioned it to Babe today, he said he had May in mind. I don't think I have a problem with pushing it back, I'm just like... What if the money ISN'T a problem? I don't want to just be pushing it back for nothing. But I guess better safe than sorry.

Ok, IDK if that was a vent or what, but I just had to get it out. lol

Re: Date Dilemma

  • Options
    blacksredblacksred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what is best for you two financially. The Time will fly by maybe you can do march as a happy medium. Plus for some venues that is still considered off peak.
  • Options
    ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    March vs. May is 2 months. I know a wedding isn't worth going into debt for but if you're going to be dedicated to saving the money you need in 2 months, you could be dedicated in paying it off too.  FI and I will have a bit left on our rewards card after the wedding, but plan on putting the money we've been saving for the wedding each month towards the debt and will have it paid off a month or two after the big day. But, of course, it's all about doing what's comfortable for you.....
  • Options
    amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say as long as you and your FI are ok with pushing it back, do it. The more time you have to save the better. Plus, you get two more months to savor wedding planning! We thought about giving ourselves a few more months but decided against it, and now what I wouldn't do for those extra months!!!!


    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

    Our Married Bio
  • Options
    KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that vendors tend to charge more for weddings between April and September...I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Weigh your options and make the decision that's best for your situation. Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Weddings do seem to be a little more once April comes around. Usually between April and October (since October started to become a popular month) stuff is a little more expensive. If you have to change your date due to financial reasons and you want to be safer than sorry then I say go for it. There is no sense in putting yourself in a financial strain with everything you guys have on your plate now.

    DH & I had to change our wedding date due to him getting laid off of his job. Yes we could have probably pulled it off because we had most of our vendors almost paid off. But I did not want to stress and fight about money issues because trust as your date grows near you will start to think about having stuff paid off on time, who is going to think what because you have to make some adjustments if you dont have the money etc. Do not put yourself or FI in that position. If you have to push your date back all of your vendors will understand and accomodate you if the date is available. Just pray about it, talk with your FI some more and make the decisions that are right for the two of you. No shame in being safe than sorry. HTH and GL.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pray about it and move accordingly...u don't want to start ur marriage off in the whole..however, if money is an issue why not give yourselves more of a cushion...2 months really isn't that much of a difference..
  • Options
    edited December 2011

    I definitely agree that you should pray and go with what you have peace about. You have other option too if you don't want to push the date back can you cut the guest list down? That is the best/fastest cost saver. Also 1 thing to think about is that March is still considered the off-season for weddings so you may be able to negotiate further discounts to make things work in your budget. But don't stress...it will work out better than what you can hope or imagine!

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi TyBoyd: Write down the pros and cons of each option, do your numbers, discuss it as couple, pray about it as a couple and make the decision that is right for you all as couple.. and KIM.... (Keep It Movin')  It's all gonna work out... Be encouraged!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards