African American Weddings
Options

Bank transaction denied

So my photographer was trying to get his last payment and my bank wouldn't let him.

Apparently, I never spend a few thousand dollars on photographer and flowers so they "got suspicious because of the irregular activities and they put a hold on my account". 

Hum yeah, I am not getting married everyday, bank people. LOL! Nothing about this whole process is "regular"

I guess I should be grateful that they are looking out for me but now I have to go through an automated machine for 30 minutes I don't have tomorrow because my bank is lame. LOL.

I keep telling myself better safe than sorry... Don't get mad, better safe than sorry..Don't

Re: Bank transaction denied

• Options
    edited December 2011
    They did that too me when I was going to visit my FI. My FI lives in Belgium and the flight was nearly $800 and so my grandma was nice enough to let me use her card because her limit is higher than mine. I assumed I bought my ticket and then the next day we got a call from the bank saying they denied a large mysterious purchase. Luckily they made it easy to fix everything and I was able to get my ticket right away.
    Photobucket
    "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours"
    Janae & Olivier

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My old bank did that to me too on a few occasions.  However, one time a suspicious unknown transaction came in and they call me and we was able to stop the transaction.  These fools was trying to get $1,500 out of my account in multiples of three's ($500).  I was like hell no and I rush to my bank and I had to change my whole account.  That was a headache, so yeah keep telling yourself better safe than sorry.  Also, they usually stop the first transaction with a company/business that is suspicious not ones you have normally had transaction with.  Ditto to your bank.

For the wedding (big ticket items) I use the old fashion check writing just to prevent this type of problem, plus I can pay more than the debit or credit card amount of $500.  However, I will be requesting a new bank card either closer to the wedding or after, just so I can have a new safe number.  I have been using my card frequently in places I normal wouldn't think of. 

BTW: The fools have figured out going smaller in stealing your money is better, because in March someone from the UK took a little under $300 from my FI account.  It was an easy to get the funds back, but the bank said they're starting to take less than as $35 or less.  So ladies please check your accounts frequently just to prevent unwanted headaches later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is annoying, but I agree that it's better to be safe.  Except, when I was in Brazil last year my bank completely stopped allowing me to take money out via my debit card, so I was having to do cash advances on my credit card. Ugh!  

Also, my debit card is a Visa and lately I've been getting phone calls from Verified by Visa saying they want to confirm purchases.  And these are regular purchases that I usually make, like a ticket on Delta Air Lines, etc.  These fools have called me for like three different transactions.  I've stopped calling them back and my card still works for now (fingers crossed).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I briefly worked for Citibank after I graduated from college, and I cannot tell you all how many times I got cursed out because of this very thing happening. It's so inconvenient, but it's so necessary.

***EDIT***
    You can always call your bank or credit card company to let them know about any unusually large purchases you'll be making and/or if you're going out of the country in advance so it doesn't happen again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pasma, definitely better save than sorry. I had a similar experience like Cincy2011. I was in Italy and they stopped processing all of my transactions. And the bank left me a message on my home voice mail. They have an alternate number on file (my cell) but didn't feel the need to call it incase my identity had been compromised. Gotta love them!
    Thankfully, my sister was also on that trip and I was able to get cash from her but it really ticked me off so I get where you're coming from.

By the way, be sure to alert them when you're leaving on your honeymoon that you'll be using your account outside of the US. That way, they don't put a stop on it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Remember when you go on your honeymoons to let your credit card company and bank know that you are going.  We went to the bank yesterday for something unrelated and the guy there told us to notify them when we were leaving so they let all charges go through.  Large amounts and unusual destinations trigger them to block transactions.

Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So true happened to me when I moved to my last place and i went and spent 4k on furniture it was declined but the money was there and as others have said before it was because I didn't make those large one time charges. So I just had to have them raise my one time credit limit and then go back and order it. This is definitely a reminder and I will keep this in mind for future wedding transactions! Better safe than sorry!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the words of advice ladies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards