African American Weddings
Options

Inviting ex's mother to wedding

I was engaged 5 yrs ago. My previous FI died suddenly 6 months before the wedding. His mom found out I am getting married. She told me to make sure she gets an invitation. Is it appropriate for my to invite her to my wedding?
Anniversary

Re: Inviting ex's mother to wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly I think that's between your FI and you. 
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your previous FI!!!! And I don't think it's a problem to invite her. How does your FI feel about it? 
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think there's anything wrong with it but as pp said it is something that you and FI have to discuss.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    7venAfricano7venAfricano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    talk to your FI but I really think that if she thinks so much of you that she even wants to be invited in the first place I would. It shows that she, despite the unfortunate circumstances, wants to share in your happiness and that is a beautiful and heart warming thing to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At the end of the day we shouldn't be so concerned about what's "appropriate" especially if you all have a good relationship and FI is comfortable.  As PP said, the fact that she's happy for you and your upcoming wedding is truly a blessing since she thought at one time that you'd be her DIL.
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI said it doesn't matter. I was just just concerned it would bring up some old memories for her.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This post actually made me a little misty eyed. The fact that she would want to share in your special day even though it may cause some sadness on her part speaks alot on how much she must care for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say invite her especially if FI is okay with it and you two obviously have a close relationship (I could be wrong).  My son's father (not my hubby) is a butt munch and has never really been in my son's life but I am extremly close to his mother.  Even if my son weren't in the pictue I know she and I would still be really close. So I invited her and my son's grandfather to the wedding and I have not a single regret. They always call me their daughter and treat my husband as if he is one of their children.  So I can completely relate.  That is a blessing girl!!  It's so good to hear things like this. Thank you for sharing.
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. This is heartwarming to me and if FI is ok with it , invite her.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Very sweet of her. If your fi is on board with it, then invite her.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your former FI. God is good and your life is presenting many new and happy opportunities.  I agree w you: I think it may be hard on her knowing that her son would have been at the alter with you.  What is your current relationship with her like? I'm getting misty-eyed too.

218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would invite her. She is just the same as an old family friend in my book. To me, I don't see why any FI would say no. Why would he be bothered? But still run it by him. Would you be bothered if his previous FI passed and he invited her mother to your wedding? I wouldn't and I don't think you would either. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Misty here too. I would invite her. She is strong, brave, and obviously cares a lot about you. Sorry about your former FI's passing. You have a testimony in that...
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards