African American Weddings

Have you ever..

been to a wedding where they ask that all guest wear a certain color. For example all black or all white. Do you like the idea, or do you think its rude to tell people what color to wear?

Re: Have you ever..

• lyar915lyar915 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually thought about it and decided against it. Telling people what to wear and people still wearing what they want anyway would be problematic. Can u imagine everyone wearing all white and a person shows up in red? LOL! 
  • edited December 2011
    Nope. And I'm not doing it for my wedding. However, we only asked the MOB & MOG to wear grey (one of our colors is silver) and they both got their dresses with no problem.

I'm not really thinking of the rude part, it just seems like more unnecessary stress added to the plate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I considered it...I saw a wedding featured in Essence where all the guest wore black even the BMs so the bride really stood out and it the overall look of it was so "classy"...I mentioned the idea to Groomzilla and he SHOT it down...lol...

If I can find the pictures from that wedding I'll post it...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really like the way they look especially in pics.It takes me back to R Kelly's video on the yacht (all white party) that looked so pretty to me.  I havent passed the idea to FI yet but im thinking he will be ok with it. Like lil01 said there will probably be that 1 person that doesnt follow directions lol
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to all white engagement parties but not weddings.  Personally, I wouldn't do it. Let your guests wear what they feel comfortable in. Some people go shopping just to find that perfect outfit. If you select a color this could be an inconvenience.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My cousin was married in 2008 and she wanted everyone in the family to wear red or grey.  I wouldn't do it. I have seen pics of other weddings where everyone wore white. It was nice.

Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    only for destination weddings never for an actual one. i personally don't like it

272image Invited
    222image Accepted
    50image Can't Hang
    0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Rude, I wouldnt do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    SmileThanks BlissPhilly for the pics
  • edited December 2011
    You're welcome...I know for me seeing it visually was totally different than how I would have imagined...Groomzilla never looked at the pictures before he SHOT it down...lol...anywhoo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Unless my name is Puff Daddy (I refuse to call that fool Diddy) I won't ask anyone to wear a specific color because I don't feel like I have that much clout.  Plus I know that there would be plenty of people who won't follow directions.  I'd rather have people where what feels comfortable for them.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to one wedding where they asked everyone to wear black or silver. Most people did...I'm almost certain not everyone did. It isn't my cup of tea, but for a small, intimate wedding...I would think it would be okay.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    It does look nice in pictures, I will admit.  That picture of all-black was nice, and then thinking back to R. Kelly's all-white video (and those white parties back in my hometown of Detroit), I think it looks sweet and classy.

However, I can't see myself doing that for a wedding.  It does seem kind of rude.  I'm not into telling grown folks what to wear.  Also, I don't want to put extra expectations on guests attending my wedding.  They're already sacrificing time and money to see me marry the man I love, I think it's a little too much to ask to tell them they must wear a specific color.  And for practicality's sake, I feel like it would be just one more thing to worry about and I don't need the stress, because like some PPs said, you know there's going to be someone who won't follow directions :-). 
  • edited December 2011
    I received a invite just last month asking the guest to wear lavender and white. I wouldn't do it because like lyar915 said could you imagine someone not following directions...LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards