African American Weddings
Options

Just Got engaged What should I do first?

I just got engaged and i'm wondering what should I do first should I look for my dress or should i set my date or do i look for a venue than choose my date depending on venue price dates (that what i did for my babyshower)?

Where do I start?
 I don't have a big budget (5500) so I don't think i can afford a wedding planner so I know i cant start with just hiring one...

Re: Just Got engaged What should I do first?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The first  thing you need to do is slow down and enjoy your engagement...especially if you are going to have a long engagement...if you are having a long engagement like me you could possibly drive yourself crazy with wedding planning!

enjoy it and take time so soak it in =]

BUT i think im focusing on venue first because that is the thing you need to book farthest in advance.

congrats and good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your engagement!! Enjoy your engagement, then start looking for your venue. GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!

I second what pp have said. First enjoy your engagement, then set a date and then look at venues. Depending on the length of your engagement, you might need to start looking at ceremony locations and a photog.

Use TheKnot's checklist. You can find it at the top of your screen. It is very useful.

Goodluck with your planning...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Congratulation & Welcome!!!!!! First you  need to relax and take in the idea of getting married . Then you may want to figure out what is important to you and your FI regarding you wedding. Then sent a date.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011

Congratulations! Ditto the other ladies...enjoy your engagement a little first. Then, break that budget down to figure out how much you can spend in specific areas. Leave your date flexible until you find your venue...research, research, research. Don't book anything before you're certain you're getting the most for your money. What season/year do you want to have your wedding?

AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board.  Enjoy your moment because planning will be on your mind until the day you say "I do".  Agreeing with ppl, look for a data that you want, figure out a budget and then tackle venue location.  Good luck to you!
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations - enjoy your engagement right now.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement. I'd say set a date first then once you have your date get a planner/organizer book that comes with some sort of timeline that tells you when it's a good time to be doing each thing that you need done for your wedding. Once you have this timeline based on your date then you can determine how much time you have to relax and enjoy being in engaged before you have to get started planning.

Wait until you pick your venues before you pick your dress.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome to the board!! Enjoy your engagement
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats & welcome!!! 
  • Options
    lca315girllca315girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like the other ladies stated, enjoy your new engagement. Once you've settled in to the idea of getting married, buy a wedding organizer or some sort of planning book with a schedule of what you need to do. Be flexible when it comes to a date, because you may find a venue that you know you want to book, but it may not be open for the date you hoped for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats on your Engagement! I also agree with what the PP has said!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Relax and enjoy sharing the news. I waited about a month before I started booking vendors though.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards