African American Weddings
Options

NWR: I was called hateful. Am I?

CN: Sister moved in with boyfriend.  Everyone told me not to do it.  I should have listened.  I kicked them both out after about a month.  My sister says I'm hateful.  Am I?

Long story short.

My sister decided to relocate to Atlanta with a boyfriend whom I had never met.  My mom, FI and everyone else was against it.  I gave my sister and her boyfriend the benefit of the doubt and allowed them to move in for a specified time and at $100 weekly.

They moved in to an upstairs bedroom and stayed in that room.  They would stay up late and sleep in late.  He had no money when he moved to Atlanta and she footed the bill for everything.  We tried to include them both in family activities.  I invited her to my make-up trial, she blew me off.  The wedding planner came by the house, she said she would meet her with me, she blew me off.  Mind you, on both occassions she was upstairs.

My mom and I invited them out to eat on multiple occassions, blown off completely by her.  While they have both been here, she has spent little to no time with her family.  NONE.  I gave up. 

She complained that I thought everything she did in my house was wrong, for example, we practice water conservation, she ran my kitchen faucet endlessly.  We use the garbage disposal sparingly, she used it in a way that I instructed her not too and damaged it.  I buy food for my family to prepare meals, he used some of the items without replacing them and that was one of the last straws for me.  I had a housekeeper coming over to clean the house, including the bedroom they were staying in - she was coming at 10:30am, they were told beforehand.  On the day of, she says "he's still sleeping", so we're not getting up to let her clean.  I went ballistic!  I told her to tell him to "get the eff up!"

Anyway, I told her to leave.  This was after a conversation where I said, I don't feel like you have my back.  I don't feel like you're a part of this family.  She called me names.  She said that his family was better and that I was a horrible person.  She said that what she was getting at my house, she could find another place to live for $400 a month.  I told her to find it. 

Last night, she had to come get her stuff.  She said she felt like she had no family.  I feel like that's a situation she put herself in.  She said I was hateful and she feels like she was kicked out for no reason.  I just feel like I didn't sign up to take care of a grown-ass man.  She threw us over for him and maybe I'm being petty, but I'm not co-signing this.

Re: NWR: I was called hateful. Am I?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're hateful at all.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure why it came up as someone else, but this is my post.

Miss, thank you.  Actually, I'm hurt by her actions.  I'm hurt by the things that she said.  I'm hurt that she feels like nothing she has done is wrong.  She's supposed to be my MOH.  I don't even think that's happening now.  It's all so very sad.
  • Options
    lca315girllca315girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. I don't think that being a responsible adult equates in to being a hateful person. I hope that one day, your sister can put the two together and realize this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think you are being hateful at all.  You were a good sister to let her and her no account bf stay with you in the first place.  The least they could have done was treat you and your house with courtesy and respect.  If they couldn't do that they deserve to be shown the door.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.  It doesn't sound like you are hateful, it sounds like these two are just immature.  A responsible adult would have made the arrangement a temporary situation and been working toward getting something of their own.  But it seemed like they were going to do nothing as long as you were footing the bill.  $400 was nothing compared to what they would have spent on an apartment, it was a reasonable compromise.  They took advantage and you did the right thing.
    Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You went above and beyond as a sister. She was damn lucky!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011

Sorry you had to go through this. I don't think you are hateful but I think your sister may need you more than you think and she may not be able to express it. Maybe she is young and "in love" and doesn't know how to balance infatuation and her loved one (I know my sister and I struggled with a very similar issue for 2 years and we finally reconciled.) 

Sorry she said all those nasty things to you. Hopefully she realizes she was in the wrong and "comes back"

I know people handle family/problems differently and we all have a ego (rightfully so) but it is your sister and I would say take some time apart and try to reach out to her at some point if she doesn't. Maybe it's a good thing that she is the MoH. You picked her for a reason and letting her still be there even if it's just standing there and not doing any Moh-ish thing might be you leaving the door open for reconciliation. She will always be your sister. This DB lazy person she is dating may not be in her life in a few months. But you will always remember your sister not being there at/in your wedding. Not worth it, believe me!

Again, sorry you have to go through this..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your not being hateful at all!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_nwr-called-hateful-am?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:de10778c-20a4-46ab-a1d2-804c2ac2d2a5Post:d4ac00dc-1155-4605-8656-5a9caaf4f794">Re: NWR: I was called hateful. Am I?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont think you are being hateful at all.  You were a good sister to let her and her no account bf stay with you in the first place.  The least they could have done was treat you and your house with courtesy and respect.  If they couldn't do that they deserve to be shown the door.  
    Posted by OFF[/QUOTE]

100% agree with this. You are a good sister, no one else would even move them in. I hope it works out in the end.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, all!  I think in this situation we both have been immature.  I sent her an email letting her know that I'm tired of the back and forth.  I also let her know that she still has a place in the wedding.  It's up to her.  Hopefully this will all blow over and soon.  I'm getting murried in about 95 days!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards