African American Weddings
Options

Reception Timeline-First Dance

Hi Ladies,

At your reception did you or are you doing your first dance before or after the meal? (I am leaning more towards after the meal but I wanted your thoughts...) Thanks!

Re: Reception Timeline-First Dance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When I first started thinking about the reception I had us doing the first dance right when we enter, as in we are introduced as Mr & Mrs and go right into our first dance. Now, I'm not so sure and I may be changing to after we do the cake cutting which is right after the meal is served. I'm all over the place right now : ).
  • Options
    amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We initially wanted it to be after the meal to prevent the people's sighs because they're hungry, but we ended up doing the wedding party announcement & then doing our dance right as we entered. It was very seamless because we were already standing in front of everyone, already had their attention, and had not yet taken our seats yet.

Another reason why we did it this way is because most people leave after the cake is cut and we wanted to do that after dinner & not make people wait. So it made the most sense to us.
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing it before the meal - we want to get as much of that stuff out of way earlier in the evening.  I know that sounds bad, but there are so many things you have to do at the wedding, that we want to have some time at the end to just enjoy the reception and our guests! 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will do the dancing after the meal...once the dancing starts, we're hoping that it won't stop!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing ours before the meal. Right after we walk in and we're introduced as Mr. & Mrs. we're going to go right into our first dance. I saw someone do this at a wedding this summer and it seemed to flow nicely.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We plan to do the first dance right when we enter the reception. I'm kinda shy, so I want to do it as soon as possible.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did it right after we entered the ballroom and it was seamless and like amberlynnd said, you have everyone's attention and no one seemed to mind.
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_reception-timeline-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:e6175c00-73ec-44a8-9382-8728fbaf32caPost:42068a23-d7f6-4d4f-becd-41ae561a2bcc">Re: Reception Timeline-First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]We initially wanted it to be after the meal to prevent the people's sighs because they're hungry, but we ended up doing the wedding party announcement & then doing our dance right as we entered. It was very seamless because we were already standing in front of everyone, already had their attention, and had not yet taken our seats yet. Another reason why we did it this way is because most people leave after the cake is cut and we wanted to do that after dinner & not make people wait. So it made the most sense to us.
    Posted by amberlynned[/QUOTE]
    Exactly this !
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning the first dance right after we enter then room and then cut the cake right after to get all that out the way.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dang I haven't even thought about it yet. This is a good question. I gotta get to work!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no clue.  I wouldn't mind someone writing up a timeline as to how things should flow.  Maybe some bullet points with suggestions?
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...y'all make some good points. Maybe we will dance right after the announcement and just save the parent dances for after we eat and use that to break into the open dancing...I actually think I like this better. This is why I love this board!

OP, what did you decide or have you yet?
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're going to do our first dance right after we enter as well.  We're going to eat afterwards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im doing my first dance as soon as I enter as well. No need to wait. However I also plan to have my girls (bridesmaids) do a cute little skit after our first dance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards