African American Weddings
Options

What to say when people ask, "what can I do

for your wedding?" or " What do you want me to buy you?"

I have been asked by FI's family what do you need us to do? I dont know what to say.
If you want to help paying for the wedding be my guest lol but on the other hand I feel it will be to many hands in pot.

My aunt says to me Drea, what do you want as a wedding gift?
I never know what ro say, I just smile and say I dont know
Anniversary
161image 131image 10image20image RSVP Date August 1

Re: What to say when people ask, "what can I do

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I do the same thing. I'm grateful that people want to "help" but at the same time, I don't want to many people think that they have a say over my wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do the same thing. It's hard because you may need or want help doing a certain thing but you don't want peoples opinions. Sorry I don't have any help for you
    Lovin Kimmie
  • Options
    Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're afraid of opinions.  Make your decisions first...and just be very specific with instructions.  For now, I would say "I don't need help with things just yet but I'll definitely get back to you."

When you get closer to the day I'm sure you'll need as much help as you can, especially with DIY projects. Just gather the materials you will need and that's when you take your family members up on their offer. Have them assemble favors, programs, etc.

If you need to call the florist, venue, etc. for a specific reason have them do it instead. Just be exact with them. Say "Can you....?"  instead of "Do you think I should...?" That will leave no room for opinions.

Don't feel afraid to ask family for help. I mentioned to my FMIL about how much work it would be to put OOT bags together and she offered to help with that. I didn't ask her if she thought it was a good idea, I just mentioned I would need help with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When people ask me what can they do to help I ask for a book a stamps. 

I needed stamps for th save the dates.  I will need stamps for the invitaitons and reply cards.  I will need stamps for the thank you cards.  I think stamps is an inexpensive way for people to help out with the wedding. 
  • Options
    pretteonepretteone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Crystalis77...stamps is a great idea!  I never thought about that, but postage can quickly add up! Thanx!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards