South Asian Weddings

Unsupportive and hostile family - to invite them or not to invite them?

Specifically, three of our parents and two of our siblings have been nothing but trouble from the beginning of our relationship. My dad and youngest sister have been great (at least recently - took some work with Dad), but my mom and other sister and his parents and brother have been awful from the start. Not only do they not support our relationship, but they openly and vociferously oppose it for ridiculous reasons - my race and his (lack of) religion. FI and I are at odds over whether or not they should be at our wedding at all.

I am of the opinion that we should only invite people who have been supportive of our relationship. I feel that people who are so opposed to our marriage don't deserve or need to be invited to the celebration of the beginning of said marriage. Unfortunately, they won't just ignore the invitation and not show up. They're all five of them the type to show up at a wedding just to start a ruckus. I would rather not give them the opportunity to create a scene at the wedding, and I don't want to spend the whole day worrying that they're going to cause trouble, especially not with everything else that I'll have to be worried about.

He thinks they should be there so we can basically rub it in that we're getting married no matter what they say and says that he would love to personally throw them out of the wedding if they should cause a row. We're renting the park grounds and there will be no bouncers - I'm not sure how "throwing them out" will work and either way would cause a major disruption and upset the flow and feel of the whole day.

I'm not looking for a "who's right and who's wrong" here. I just want a little perspective on the situation. Maybe having an opinion from someone who's not as in the box as we are will help us come to an agreement
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Unsupportive and hostile family - to invite them or not to invite them?

• kavita85kavita85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're having trouble. If I remember correctly, you and your FI are footing the bill completely on your own? Generally whoever is paying has control of the guest list, so it is entirely your choice to exclude people who have been unnecessarily hostile if you feel they will only cause disruptions. That being said, you still have over a year until your wedding, so things may very well change for the better. Of course, I don't know the specifics of your family, but we had a long engagement and I was surprised at how some of my family members eventually accepted my FI when they were very vocal against the marriage at the outset. Since invitations don't go out until about 8 weeks before the wedding, these unsupportive family members still have time to mend their relationship with you and FI.

Maybe others will disagree with me, but I think even if they are your parent or your sibling, you have a right to not invite them if you believe they will cause disruptions. It is truly their fault for missing out on their sister's or daughter's wedding if you've tried everything and they still won't accept you. In the meantime, you can encourage communication with them and hope they come around by the time of the wedding.

(Btw, I totally disagree with your FI about inviting them just to rub it in their face or throw them out).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also disagree with your fiance. You do not want to rub anything in their faces - to be honest, I doubt it will make much of a difference, and regardless of how they act or make you feel, it's not a good thing to do. You should maintain the behavior and attitude you have had thus far, and I know you are trying hard to be a good sport with them regardless of their blatant remarks and cold behavior. This is supposed to be the happiest day of your life and YOU are certain about what you want - regardless of how any of them, on either side, feel. I am very sorry you are dealing with this and this is a sticky situation. To be honest, I would not want to worry my whole wedding day if someone is going to humiliate me and ruin what is supposed to be the most wonderful day of my life. That being said, both of your family members are being awful BUT this marriage is forever, and like I have told many a friend on this board, you are marrying them as well as him. In our culture, it's just the way it is...and you not inviting them may cause more of a problem than anything else. I know you and him are footing the bill for your events, but it clearly isn't stopping their bad attitude. I just want you to think about the damage it can cause if you do not invite them at all...I understand you're in a bit of a bind, and I don't know what to suggest other than to weigh all options very carefully. Yes, you want a great day and you want support. Do your other family members support you? Such as cousins? Aunts? Uncles? Grandparents? What about your friends? I would ask several people who are supportive of you to help look out for things like bad behavior on your big day and ask them if they could not diffuse the situation, but remind the individuals who take part in such unsavory behavior that they are at a wedding and they need to stop. I am not sure how your family members will react, but if it was me, and things were really this bad, I'd even consider eloping. I'd rather it be just the two of us and I'd rather cry happy tears than have a wedding soaked with bad feelings and the constant worry that someone will say something inappropriate, act rudely, or ruin everything for you and your fiance.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By the way, sorry I didn't space out what I typed. Whoops! I hope it's not awful to read.
  • edited December 2011
    The rest of my relatives seem pretty ambivalent, to be honest. Only one aunt on my side seems to actually support us; no one else has said anything negative, but nothing positive either.

On his side, he isn't close to many relatives, and has decided that many of them just aren't invited because of the way they treated him when he was younger. That's a completely separate issue from the parents; those problems started years ago, before I ever met him. He was shipped off to Africa as a teenager for getting involved with a white girl (his parents wanted to make them end it, and it worked indirectly - she found someone else while he was gone), and the family members he stayed with was horrible to him, so the stories go. There seems to be quite a history on his dad's side of completely awful behavior - verbal abuse, parents not parenting - giving their son to some other relative to raise when the kid got sick and became disabled (my own son is disabled, so this doesn't sit well with me at all), a LOT of comparing and mutterings about the "poor" relatives, etc. His mom's family is smaller, and he's only met them a handful of times when he was a kid. His parents had an arranged marriage - his father's family CHOSE his mother and still treated her like garbage because she came from a poor family in a small village. All in all, his family appears tight-knit but terrible to each other. So while none of his extended family members has SAID anything to us (except for one aunt and one great-aunt), that doesn't necessarily mean that we have any of their support.

Our friends have been supportive from the get go. They've been wonderful and helpful, and we haven't had a single true friend have anything but positive to say about our relationship. Eloping isn't an option because of these friends - we REALLY want to celebrate with the people who have supported us and been there
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just sorry that you have to go through this. It's really such a shame that they can't just stop their stupidity and let you have this time in your lives. They have to adjust, and even if they don't, you two have to move on with your lives.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, if you and your FI are paying for it, you are under no obligation to invite people you do not want to be there, whether they are family or not!

That is really sad and awful and I hope that in time they will come around, but knowing how long Indian families can hold grudges, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I agree with the previous ladies that you should not invite them just to rub it in. Someone has to be the more mature party, and I think it's the ultimate revenge if it's you and your FI.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Down the road, I think that if you didn't extend a formal invitation to them, it would be harder to bring any reconciliation. I think that extending and invitation to them to share in your happiness, regardless of their opinion on your relationship, would be a good and admirable thing to do.  It is then their choice to go or not go.  They will never be able to blame you for their choice not to attend since you did invite them.  I think the more low-key you and your FI are with them about it, and the less importance you place on it, the less fired-up they will be.  I would just leave them out of all wedding planning/wedding talk, and just personally give them an invitation and keep the tone positive and express that you would love for them to be there to share in your happiness, the end. If they show up or not, that is their decision. If there are other people there who are happy for you and enjoying the time, they will need to face embarassment to create a ruckus in front of all of those people.  It's definitely a risk, but then again, you and your FI knew that they weren't happy about the relationship and still pursued it. If you are stong enough to get through that, then you can handle them if they do try to create a rukus.  It takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm with Mrs. Khan on this one. But I really am worried about any idiocy they may initiate at your wedding.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BTW, be sure to fill us in with an update!
  • edited December 2011
    I will definitely keep you all updated. There's time yet, but I'm not optimistic - they seem to have gotten worse since the proposal, so I have little hope that they'll get better by the wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards