South Asian Weddings

Bridesmaid question

In Hindu weddings, and in our culture in general, we don't have bridesmaids like western weddings do. I want to use my friends in my wedding and have them each be a BM, but, I had a question or two...

Who pairs for their hair and make up? If I am getting mine and my Mom's done for the wedding, do I have to pay for theirs, too?

As for the shoes...do they ALL have to match? I know they pay for the clothes...but I was planning on gifting them the jewelry.

How are you planning on involving your BMs?

Thanks!!!

Re: Bridesmaid question

• edited December 2011
    I've been in four or five weddings as a bridesmaid. For each, I paid for my own dress, shoes, accessories, hair, and makeup.

Matching or not matching is really up to you. They certainly don't HAVE to match, and to be honest, I've never been to (or in) a wedding where anyone was all that concerned about the bridesmaids' shoes except maybe the bride.

I told my bridesmaids that they could wear whatever they wanted for their overall look, as long as it was reasonably modest, wedding-appropriate and not red. One is planning to wear a blue sari, the second is deciding between a sari and a salwar kameez, likely in purple, and the third is still up in the air as far as what she wants to wear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Hinaj

I have 6 bridesmaids+1 (my sister), I bought 6 sarees for them, my sis got them from india.I am not getting their hair or makeup done, some of them prefer to get ready on their own, I am getting them all a similar accessory for the hair and asking them to wear it the same way. But other than that I am not coordinating the shoes, but letting them know what color to wear. I think i cant go into that much detail, its gets to be a lot in my opinion.
    On the other hand,my sis was a bridesmaid for a interfaith wedding, she had to buy her dress but then the bride offered to get their hair done and bouquets made. They purchased their own shoes.
    I think its up to you, and your budget what you can and cannot do since bm's are not a requirement in indian weddings.
    -nicky
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since we are doing two ceremonies, we bought their saris and kurtas but they will be buying their wedding dresses and tuxes. I also bought their jewelry which can be worn for both. I am letting them pick their own shoes, and do their own hair & make-up. I know they'll look wonderful so they won't need for me to hire a stylist.
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I am only having 3 BM but I am buying their outfits, so they will be on their own for hair and makeup.
  • mpkakadmpkakad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What role will you have them playing in the wedding?  My sister will be the one walking down the isle in front of me, so I don't really want another 4 people behind her?  Any other ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards