Gay Weddings

Lesbian getting married in Arizona... I have no idea where to start!

Hi all. The topic of the post pretty much says it all. I've helped to plan other weddings (namely, my heterosexual, somewhat offbeat friend's weddings) on a budget... but we're not getting married for nearly two years, and I do want to get a jump on some of the planning details. 

Problem is... I don't know where to start, and there's no comprehensive list of LGBT friendly wedding vendors in the greater Phoenix metro area (so, Phoenix, Glendale, Avondale, Surprise, Scottsdale, Peoria, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, etc...), or in the Sedona area (which is where we intend to get married). We're basically going at this blind, and we're not sure of where to start... other than basic stuff like picking out dresses and/or decorations. Things like venues, catering, etc... are a mystery so far, because a lot of places just don't announce whether or not they're LGBT friendly. And since it's perfectly legal for private businesses to more or less say no here, it's even more daunting.

If anyone has any tips, advice, or a heads up on LGBT nuptial friendly establishments in my area, it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Lesbian getting married in Arizona... I have no idea where to start!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I agree with the others.  Start by figuring out which wedding vendors you want (and your local board can be very helpful with that).  Then call those people up, tell them it's a same-sex wedding, and see how they react. 

We got some really positive responses that we didn't expect at all.  There was one bridal salon in the backwoods of Virginia where the owner started by asking each of us when we were getting married, then exclaimed, "How unusual for two such good friends to get married on the same day!"  But after we explained, she got really enthusiastic about the challenge of finding wedding dresses that would not only work for each of us, but coordinate with each other. 

Similarly, we were nervous about asking the Orthodox Jewish seller of kippot (yarmulkes/skullcaps) to inscribe the ones we provided to our guests with the names of two women.  But there was no problem at all, and both the kippot and the inscriptions were of excellent quality and delivered very promptly.
  • edited April 2012
    When you figure it out please let me know!  I'm proposing next week and have recently started looking at photographers and venues. I've also only lived in Phx for a year so I'm not familiar with all the venues here.  I would love to be in contact with someone who knows what there is around here!
  • ki10ki10 member
    First Comment
    I think you're going to end up needing to just call the vendors that look interesting to you and ask outright. If they can't handle being asked outright if they're supportive, then they're not. Plenty of places won't publish their queer photos and stuff online because they know it'll hurt business if they work in certain areas, and that sucks. It's extra work for you, and people who advertise it are often better since they're whole hog, but that's Arizona for you. I'd help you out more, but I've never lived there, I just visit my family. I'd say Tempe, with the college and all, has the strongest reputation for lgbtq friendliness, so vendors with offices there are a decent start to the culling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_lesbian-getting-married-in-arizona-i-have-no-idea-where-to-start?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:177116d0-df86-4426-8663-3530504bb6bcPost:a75aca79-9b1f-4de8-a18f-6b37729c7bc1">Lesbian getting married in Arizona... I have no idea where to start!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all. The topic of the post pretty much says it all. I've helped to plan other weddings (namely, my heterosexual, somewhat offbeat friend's weddings) on a budget... but we're not getting married for nearly two years, and I do want to get a jump on some of the planning details.  Problem is... I don't know where to start, and there's no comprehensive list of LGBT friendly wedding vendors in the greater Phoenix metro area (so, Phoenix, Glendale, Avondale, Surprise, Scottsdale, Peoria, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, etc...), or in the Sedona area (which is where we intend to get married). We're basically going at this blind, and we're not sure of where to start... other than basic stuff like picking out dresses and/or decorations. Things like venues, catering, etc... are a mystery so far, because a lot of places just don't announce whether or not they're LGBT friendly. And since it's perfectly legal for private businesses to more or less say no here, it's even more daunting. If anyone has any tips, advice, or a heads up on LGBT nuptial friendly establishments in my area, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Posted by mdeater[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hello I would love to feature you on TLC's Brides of Beverly Hills. We are looking for brides that will shop for their dress with the amazing Renee Strauss! Please see the info below</div><div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Hi there! Im casting a show and am a fellow bride!! Great opportunity to get a discount on your dress and be on TV</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">TLC casting brides!</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">ARE YOU A BRIDE WHO EXPECTS ONLY THE BEST?</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">DO YOU WANT YOUR WEDDING GOWN TO STAND OUT FROM ALL THE REST?</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"> </p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">TLC’s hit series <em style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:13px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Brides of Beverly Hills </em>is looking for brides searching for their dream dress to appear on the show!!</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have Renee Strauss, an internationally renowned bridal stylist, dress you for your BIG DAY!</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">We are looking for BIG stories and BIG personalities. If you are the perfect Beverly Hills bride who is ready to find your dream gown, tell us your story.</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Are you a bridesmaid? If so, we are looking for you too!<span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:13px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">  </span>Share your story and find the ultimate dress!</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal"> </p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Send your name, wedding date and details, gown budget and story to:</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0.0001pt;margin-left:0px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">BridesofBeverlyHills@gmail.com</span></p><p style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:11px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0.0001pt;margin-left:0px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;border-width:0px;padding:0px;" class="MsoNormal" align="center"><span style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:10pt;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Make sure to include recent photos of you, your fiancé and loved ones involved in helping you pick that special dress</span></p></span>
    </div>
  • Hi, friends, I am nondenominational wedding officiant in eastern Iowa. One of my specialities is helping gay and lesbian couples plan a lovely ceremony.  If you live out of state,   I can help you with all of the arrangements to have your gay wedding ceremony here in Iowa, where ALL couples can legally marry.  See my Wedding Page website at www.facebook.com/liferituals and contact me at cbarts4@aol.com to answer any of your questions about getting married in Iowa.

Thanks,

Cathy Bolkcom
    Wedding Officiant
  • <div>I am lybarra's FI, and we have settled on Tucson for our Arizona wedding. The Radisson is a very gay-friendly company, and the one we've chosen to host our day is extremely supportive of us thus far. But now I'm excited to start looking into shopping, we'll have to check out La Bella Bridal soon! I love the ability to find local like-minded advice here, although I'm already finding myself overwhelmed at times!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_lesbian-getting-married-in-arizona-i-have-no-idea-where-to-start?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:177116d0-df86-4426-8663-3530504bb6bcPost:7d39ad34-dd3b-4c8b-9eb6-ced67b75ccf2">Re: Lesbian getting married in Arizona... I have no idea where to start!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you wanting to get married? Here in the valley? Or were you thinking of doing something elsewhere in Arizona (we're planning our wedding for up in Sedona). If you're starting to work on finding a place to find formal wear, La Bella Bridal in Mesa is awesome. I went there for a dress fitting a few days ago, and the staff is very helpful. They also sell tuxedos, Quinceañera gowns, prom gowns, and some other formal attire. They're a smaller boutique, but they have a pretty decent selection of formal wear, and like I said, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful (even when I mentioned that I was gay- didn't faze the sales girl a bit!) They do have a website: <a href="http://www.labellabridal.com" rel="nofollow">www.labellabridal.com</a> and do fittings by appointment only.  They're located off of Dobson and Guadalupe rd (on the SE corner, behind Serrano's). In Response to Re: Lesbian getting married in Arizona... I have no idea where to start! :
    Posted by mdeater[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards