Gay Weddings

NOW they decide to treat us as married?!?!?!?!

For the nearly a decade that NotFroofy has been in this country, the federal government has declined to recognize the possibility that she and I might get married. We've been disadvantaged by this on everything from immigration rights to in-state tuition.

My son is just finishing up getting his security clearance, and he tells me today that he needs a copy of NotFroofy's green card faxed to the relevant authorities. I ask him why he needs this, since it was not requested the last time he got a security clearance. He responds, "Oh, but you weren't married then."

So let me get this straight: Any time being married could possibly benefit us, the federal government will not recognize our marriage. However, when our being married creates extra nuisance requirements, it is recognized?

Re: NOW they decide to treat us as married?!?!?!?!

• edited December 2011
    That's your government at work!  It matters not whether the leader is democrat or republican...it never makes sense!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry about that 2nd.  It's just ridiculous.  I would call up my US Senators and my US Representative (assuming you aren't in DC proper) and make a little bit of a stink about this to their staff.  Surprisingly, this kind of real-life scenario is something that actually brings the whole same-sex marriage thing into focus for politicians sometimes.  They need to hear from actual voters who are being actually disadvantaged.  It tends to make them a bit uncomfortable when you point out that they COULD be doing something about this on your behalf.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards