Gay Weddings

Miss Manners on Same-Sex Weddings

For anyone who missed today's Miss Manners column, I thought I'd preserve it here.

Dear Miss Manners:

My partner of 18 years and I traveled to Des Moines, Iowa, where we were married. I am overjoyed that our relationship is recognized legally, even if it is not in our home state.

When we crossed the Mississippi River on the way home from our wedding, we were once again single, at least in the eyes of the law.

I have always introduced Rick as my "partner" but would now like to use the term "husband," just like the rest of the legally married world.

Is it appropriate for me to say "husband," even when we are standing in a spot where that is not true? Is it a term I should use only in places where our marriage is recognized? Am I wrong in wanting somehow to indicate that the legal status of our relationship has changed?

Please calm down -- wedding jitters should be over by now.

If you are going to consider yourselves married or unmarried every time you cross a border, you are going to drive yourselves -- and everyone you meet -- crazy. You got married, and are each other's husbands. Miss Manners congratulates you.

Re: Miss Manners on Same-Sex Weddings

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards