Washington-Seattle
Options

Ceremony location v. reception location...what's too far?

We're contemplating a late October wedding in 2011, but this pretty much necessitates it being indoors. The only indoor ceremony location I really love is in Tacoma, but the reception venues I like are all in Seattle or on the east side.

Do you think that's too far of a drive? It would be on a Saturday evening. About 1/4 of the guests are closer to Tacoma, 1/4 are closer to Seattle, and 1/2 are in Colorado (but we're probably going to have a 2nd reception in Colorado).

Re: Ceremony location v. reception location...what's too far?

• Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  That's too far.  What places do you like?  What are you looking for?  We may have suggestions.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony @ Kilworth Chapel (UPS, in North Tacoma).

Reception venues...I have no idea. I'm new to all this. I like the idea of an intimate restaurant reception more than I like the traditional ballroom reception. I like wine, so anything wine related would be a plus. Water views are always a bonus!

I really had/have my heart set on Willows Lodge in Woodinville, but I don't see that setting working well in the late fall/rain. They have this green tent that I'm not crazy about.

I like the idea of the wedding being on 10/29/11 because that's our "date-versary", but it sure makes picking a venue tough in WA.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The chapel at Bastyr in Kenmore is really pretty. 
    http://www.bastyr.edu/conference/bastyr-chapel.asp
    Then you could the reception at Willows Lodge - all though if I remember correctly, they have a minimum number of guest rooms you have to fufill/pay for....like 10 or something. 

Not sure how many people you are expecting but Johnny's Dock in Tacoma might be an option for the reception if it's a smaller wedding.
    Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is the size of your guest list?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DeLille Winery has a beautiful venue that could work for both ceremony and reception possibly? Unless you need it to be in a church.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For reception locations in Tacoma (and all close to UPS), what about:

CI Shenanigans - it's on the water, has several group size accommodations and their prices look really reasonable.  Or

Cafe Divino - Old Town Tacoma, it's super small so I'm not sure it would work, but it's a wine bar so that's a plus!

The Lobster Shop - also on the water and super tasty food.

Pagoda at Pt. Defiance Park (Pt. Defiance Zoo) -  You choose the caterer or self-cater.  Plus really nice water views.

If I think of more I'll post more.  Good luck!
  • Options
    MerryfjMerryfj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Browns Point Improvement Club is a nice venue too.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our ceremony and reception at Bastyr University in Kenmore. They just started doing receptions on site this year, the reception space has floor to ceiling windows on one whole wall so it really gives that "outdoor feeling" without having to worry about the weather. There are some pictures of the space on my bio.
    My Planning Bio image
    176 invited image 92 Joinin in image 56 Missin out image 29 Slackers image RSVP Date: August 27th
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Tough to say how many would be attending at this point, I'd say between 110-150.

Bastyr is pretty, but my step-sister got married there so I want to avoid it. The upstairs room at Shenanigans might be a good option, not sure if it would be large enough though. I was also considering El Gaucho (the Tacoma location), but will probably have the same space limitation.

Thanks for the recommendations for everywhere else, I'll check them out. 

Does anyone have pics of a reception at the Museum of Glass?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    not sure if they allow the public, but the chapel at Lakeside School in Seattle is gorgeous, and would be even more gorgeous at that time of the year with the leaves, etc.  might be too far north for your Tacoma friends, but it's right off the freeway.  then you could do the reception at lake union cafe or something. 

• Options
    irshis20irshis20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest the Museum of Glass or the Washington State History Museum next door to it, Point Defiance Zoo, one of the restaurants on the waterfront north of UPS, or perhaps somewhere in Gig Harbor (I think there are a few venues there that I've heard about).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say you don't want more than a 15-20 minute drive. I hate having to go to seperate locations anyway, so any longer of a drive than that I'd be a little annoyed. Tacoma to WOODINVILLE? No freakin way!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards