Gay Weddings

Confused about my same sex wedding????????

Hi I am a  23 year old lesbian and me and my partner are engaged. Since the engagement things have been confusing as forth getting the right people, wondering where to go, I mean we choice Washington D.C. but only two people on my side of the family will be coming. I'm just a little stressed. I'm not sure rather I really want to go through with this or not. Any feedback on what I should do 

Re: Confused about my same sex wedding????????

• Are you stressed about the wedding, or about the marriage?  If it's just the wedding, you can have a very small and simple ceremony in DC.  If you want a larger party, you could then have it back in SC, where presumably more people would be able to attend.  If you're not sure whether you want to get married, that's a much more complicated issue, and you need to slow down until you are sure.
  • I agree with 2dBride. What is worrying you?  

You could have a committment ceremony/wedding in your home town and invite everyone.  Or you can do a private ceremony in DC.

Keep in mind... when you get married in another state that is not your residence, you may have issues down the line if you need to get divorced.  I am NOT saying you will ever get divorced, but so many people here don't consider that.  Many states that now allow legal marriage will marry people from another state, but in order to get divorced, you have to be a resident of the state.   So, that may be something to consider in your planning.
  • My partner and I have had similar concerns.  We are planning to get married in New York this October, and then have a wedding ceremony and reception here in Florida next March.  At first, I was worried that the ceremony would be less meaningful since it will be happening 5 months after the official marriage, but now I feel much better about it.  Our friends and family won't have to worry about travel expenses, and we will get to celebrate our official marriage just the two of us.  
    If you are having second thoughts about being married, you might want to take some time to think about it before making any big decisions.  We decided to wait a little while and it has been a good decision.  Just follow your instincts and communicate with your partner.  Communication is key!  Congratulations and best of luck to both of you :)
  • I understand your confusion, I have been in the process of figuring all this out with my partner. We planned a ceremony and a reception here in Kansas City. Even though there is nothing legal about it here, its something we really wanted to do with freinds and family. However, we wanted to get legally married as well, so I booked tickets to Manchester, NH. We're going there a couple months before the wedding as kind of a 'pre-honeymoon' before all the wedding crazyness begins. One nice thing about the state of NH is that they do no have a 3 day waiting period for your marriage certificate, so you can go for a nice long weekend, get married at city hall, and leave with your marriage certificate. Plus it gives you the chance to go on a little trip together.

Best of luck with everything!
  • I wanted to share some information with you because I noticed your hesitation on carrying through with your engagement. I know it can be a confusing and overwhelming time, but I found a great resource on LGBT MassVacation with a step-by-step process you may really benefit from. It includes other helpful hints and this resources might help to ease your anxieties and get excited for your future cerremony...best of luck!
  • I wanted to share some information with you because I noticed your hesitation on carrying through with your engagement. I know it can be a confusing and overwhelming time, but I found a great resource on LGBT MassVacation with a step-by-step process you may really benefit from. It includes other helpful hints and this resources might help to ease your anxieties and get excited for your future cerremony...best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards