Gay Weddings

Readings for Ceremony

Any suggestions for nice readings (poems etc) for a same-sex wedding?

Re: Readings for Ceremony

• 2dBride2dBride member
    2500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Here was ours, from Letters To A Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilk:

The point of marriage is not to create a quick commonality by tearing down all boundaries; on the contrary, a good marriage is one in which each partner appoints the other to be the guardian of his solitude, and thus they show each other the greatest possible trust. A merging of two people is an impossibility, and where it seems to exist, it is a hemming-in, a mutual consent that robs one party or both parties of their fullest freedom and development. But once the realization is accepted that even between the closest people infinite distances exist, a marvelous living side-by-side can grow up for them, if they succeed in loving the expanse between them, which gives them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole and before an immense sky.

That is why this too must be the criterion for rejection or choice: whether you are willing to stand guard over someone else's solitude, and whether you are able to set this same person at the gate of your own depths.

So those who love must try to act as if they had a great work to accomplish: they must go into themselves and gather and concentrate themselves; they must work; they must become something. For the more we are, the richer everything we experience is. And those who want to have a deep love in their lives must collect and save for it, and gather honey.
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    We had two (one biblical, one secular):

An Excerpt from Corinthians 13 (which was read in English & Spanish):

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

An excerpt from Captain Correlli's Mandolin:

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.

Love is not breathless, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. . . . That is just being in love which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

May your roots grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms fall from your branches, you find out that you are one tree, and not two.

Photobucket
  • sustotsustot member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    We used the same Corinthians as KCullen, but we also had Chief Justice Margaret Marshall's ruling from the Goodridge decision read:
    Marriage is a sacred union, entered into thoughtfully, reverently, with gratitude for the past and hope for the future. Chief Justice Margaret Marshall has given us an eloquent portrait of marriage...form the 2003 Goodridge decision, which established marriage equality. Civil marriage is at once a deeply personal commitment to another human being and a highly public celebration of the ideals of mutuality, companionship, intimacy, fidelity, and family. Because it fulfills yearnings for security, safe haven, and connection that express our common humanity, civil marriage is an esteemed institution, and the decision whether and whom to marry is among life's momentous acts of self-definition.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using "Love" by Roy Croft.... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot
  • edited December 2011
  • OMG. I can't believe no one's included the Ruth and Naomi reading from traditional weddings. It's used at hetero weddings all the time, but it's actually between two women. It's Ruth 1:16-17.
    Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards