Gay Weddings
Options

Final Decision on clothing...

So, I am one of those gender wandering lesbinems, and I have had a hard time finding something to wear. My partner immediately opted for a suit, and I just felt like i would be a butchly  rock standing up there. a wedding dress, well the idea just made me feel icky all around. So i decided to look in between, but what the hell is that?
First i found a beautiful simple dress at All Saints Spitafield, it was black, and different enough to look pretty bad ass, with a full sleeve of tatoos. But the tatoos had to be scrapped due to a new medicine, and so the dress became, just a dress.
I went back to shopping. Hippie wraps, skimpy dresses, and saris later, I finally feel decided :
I am going to wear a vest. but let me stop there! I recently saw a picture of a lesbian wedding with one wearing a vest, and frankly it looked like a bohemian braless, robbed, lesbian. BLAH. 
I found several different unusual cuts of vests, either shaped with racer backs, or deep v necks at deisel and saks. The latest find- at Doo.ri, the banker vest, it has a totally unique back made of drapes. This vest, with some tailoring would be perfect with a pair for nice pants, or even capris (summer time). It adds a formality to a simpler bottom. 

so that is my journey. I hope this will be helpful to someone out there who is in the same genderfuck i am. good luck!

Re: Final Decision on clothing...

• Options
    jenjessi1812jenjessi1812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well it sounds like you have your work cut out for you :))) Good luck with everything!
    ***JenJessi1812***
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been considering a tux or something similar for our wedding.  My princess will wear the prettiest dress that we can afford.  I just don't see myself wearing a dress.  I'm not a dress type of person, plus I had my princess wedding years ago.  I have been looking for girl tuxes on line, but haven't found anything I like yet.  Any suggestions?

Rhonda
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sustotsustot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
       Let me begin with a tailor is a girl's best friend.  My partner and I were in the exact same boat...she decided very early what she wanted and had a grand image in her head of what her outfit would look like.  Problem is that outfit doesn't exist on a rack.  We found a wonderful local designer and showed off my "stick figure" renduring of basically a tux pant with an open-backed vest (think key-hole- but in reality it stops at her sides), low V cut front, with larger than norm for a vest lapels.  The back-wrapped around her neck just like a normal shirt, the bottom is think almost belt like (this is what is holding it together in other words).  Needless to say she will be taped in to this thing in the front.
        From that the designer came up with an outfit for me drawing off the lapels from the vest to pull our outfits together.  Since our colors are black and white, my outfit is a black silk shirt with white buttons and cufflinks and a white "femme" suit and my jacket has the same lapels as the vest.  They are still being made - Can't wait to get stuck by a few more pins during this process, but I know it will be worth it.
          Good luck - it doesn't hurt to talk to local designers in your area.  Some can be expensive and may try to talk you into fabrics you don't want to raise the price.  It doesn't cost anything to consult - or at least it shouldn't.  Since you pretty much know you want a vest, start there and see what they can come up with...you might be surpised.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, the wedding is 6.5 days away!!  My princess is wearing the most beautiful princess wedding dress.  We found it at a local thrift store.  I am wearing a tux. The formal wear store had no problem with me wanting a tux. They even ordered me a few different styles to see which fit my figure the best. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards