Christian Weddings

What do you ladies think...

...about a Sunday wedding???

We originally had the date as 9.3.11, which is a Saturday. But the date didn't feel like "that's our date" (if that makes sense). I woke up one morning a few weeks ago with 9.4.11 in my mind. That day was just stuck and I had this feeling like "this is the date" Sunday, September 4, 2011. 

All excited, I mentioned it to my mom and her response was basically "you expect pple to travel from out of town and miss church for your wedding? FI will not like that." I told her I didn't agree with her at all and FI would prob love it.

I told FI and he LOVED the idea! (I should have told my mom she doesn't know my honey like I do LOL)  He agreed and like me, thought what better day to be married than a Sunday. Pple wouldn't have to miss church service because the wedding will start at 4pm. It's the Sun before Labor Day so our OOT guests can travel w/out using time from work.

This is the date we have officially set (yup, it's almost in stone) But what do you think??? Do you see any problems with a Sunday wedding??
Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics

Re: What do you ladies think...

• edited December 2011
    The date is a good date (its my b-day afterall). I think you and FI should do what works best for you.
    However, also take into consideration your guests. If a lot of your guests are out of towners, then you might want to let them know well in advance as folks might need to take a day off work (Monday).
    But if most of your guests are in town, then I don't see a problem with that. Especially if its an evening ceremony.

EDIT: Just noticed you indicated the day after is Labor day holiday. Based on that, I think you should be fine.
    For out of town guests, remember that that's the last holiday before school starts for some parents so some people might want to get away for that weekend with family. Not trying to put a damper on things. Just wanted you to take that into consideration. Ultimately, it is YOURS & FI's day.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with PP! 
    I think if you two believe that's a great day - then it's right for you!  I've never been to a Sunday wedding - but there are tons of benefits for you as far as budget too!  The only think I would worry about are your OOT guests and the ceremony at 4.. how long would the reception be?  They definitely need to know early enough so they can set their Monday schedules!
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • lleavelllleavell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I'd caution you about is the church.  Some churches don't allow Sunday weddings b/c they don't want to worry about having the service at 11 (or whenever) and trying to turn right around and set up the sanctuary for a wedding.  But if it's ok with your church (or you're not getting married in the church) then I think Sunday weddings are perfectly fine, especially on a holiday weekend.
  • DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Monday following our Sunday wedding date is Labor day, so we figured the great majority of traveling guests will have that Monday off from work.

And believe it or not we won't have a church wedding. Since FI and I are not from the area and will also be traveling to the city we're getting married in (long story as to why), we wanted a place that we could have the ceremony and reception together. We just figured it would be more convenient for us and easier since we aren't familiar with the city.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on a Sunday too. Our venue cost half as much on a Sunday as a Saturday, so I really could not justify a Saturday wedding. There is no reason why anyone should have to miss church, it's not like you are having a morning wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think the Sunday wedding idea is great, especially since it's a holiday weekend. I'm getting married on a holiday weekend too, (Independence Day weekend) so I have concerns about guests who will have vacation plans already set. But I love my date of July 3 and I'm sure many of my family and friends will be there. Good luck with your wedding planning!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about people missing church. If you are having a pastor do the service, he/she will likely give a little sermon type speech anyway. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If you want a Sunday wedding, that's totally fine. BUT, I will say that at six days out from my wedding, I really wish I would have gone with the Friday wedding that I initially wanted, only because  I desperately want to be married right now. So, anyway, I don't think Sunday is a bad idea, but keep in mind that you could feel sad the week of your wedding when you realized you could have been Mrs. InsertNameHere a whole day earlier.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards