Washington-Seattle
Options

food budget

i was wondering how much everyone is spending on food. i am having 150 guests and I am trying to give a budget for my caterer.

Re: food budget

• Options
    edited December 2011

Do you guys have a budget for everything??

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you talking just food or food+plates+silverware+service+linens, etc?
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    cassandrancassandran member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just food
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, that's kind of a broad question... for what type of meal? How formal? Etc.

One thing that surprised me after getting quotes from multiple caterers was just how similar the food prices themselves were among caterers considered cheap vs. expensive. In fact, our caterer, who I thought was kind of pricey, came in cheaper than some that are recommended as inexpensive.

The real cost difference is in the rentals/linens/labor/alcohol, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Food I cannot say since I was looking for the whole package.  I did start off by getting quotes from many different companies and tried to have each create a meal as similar as possible to what I wanted so I could compare as close as to apples to apples as possible. For me the ones that drove me a little nuts were the ones that wanted me to present to them my budget first before they would quote.  I mean think about it when you buy a car - first person who gives a number is the loser.  For all I know the amount I give them they can tweak their numbers so it comes in under my budget but that doesn't mean I'm getting the most for my money if that makes sense?

Plus as PP mentioned, it the food portion does vary depending upon what exactly you're looking for.  A meal for dinner with chicken and seafood will run a fair amount more than one with say pasta and chicken.  Plus the number of appetizers and types of appetizers served affects it as well.  And if you're talking lunch then of course it should run less than dinner (I would guess about 20%) since the portions will likely be a bit smaller and lunch weddings are lower on the demand scale than dinner weddings.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ShiroNekoShiroNeko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I just figured out our total budget, and then I put that into the budgeter on here. You could try that for a rough estimate of what your food budget could be.
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it really depends on what you want....i suggest using the knot budget calculator, that way you can figure out what your proportions should be based on your total budget. since everybody's total budget varies, asking what our food budget alone won't help much =P
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got a quote from out caterer and for 150 it is about 2600 before tax & tip, but she does include linends & service with it.  (italian style dinner) but for 150 a few other quotes i got were around the same.

Check out Flame Catering if you are in the seattle area, they had some pretty good prices, but was too much extra to come all the way up to my end.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_food-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:634bdf05-fbcc-481c-a3ae-e22f8b95d7fcPost:18fce907-3e63-47e1-aa28-7d87a9c4aabd">Re: food budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you talking just food or food+plates+silverware+service+linens, etc?
    Posted by Tygirljojo[/QUOTE]
    +alcohol+automatic gratuity+service fee+tax+champagne toast corking fee+cake cuttingfee...<div>
    </div><div>Yea, it all depends on what's included.  Our meals are like $48 pp, but that doesn't include: alcohol, cake-cutting, champagne toast, service fee, gratuity, and tax.  With all that, it comes out to (around) $100 pp.  So, you can see that the "other stuff" can make a HUGE difference, and you can't ignore it.
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards