Wedding Woes
Options

Wow!

This is one tough mother: Ines Ramirez is the only woman known to have performed a successful Caesarean-section on herself! The sun had set hours ago. The nearest clinic was 80 km away over rough roads, and her husband, her only assistant during a half-dozen previous births, was drinking at a cantina. She had no phone and neither did the cantina.

So at midnight, after 12 hours of constant pain, the petite, 40-year-old mother of six sat down on a low wooden bench. She took several gulps from a bottle of rubbing alcohol, grabbed a 15-cm knife and began to cut.

By the light of a single dim bulb, Ramirez sawed through skin, fat and muscle before reaching inside her uterus and pulling out her baby boy. She says she cut his umbilical cord with a pair of scissors, then passed out. When she regained consciousness, she wrapped a sweater around her bleeding abdomen and asked her 6-year-old son, Benito, to run for help. Several hours later, the village health assistant, Leon Cruz, and a second health worker found Ramirez alert and lying beside her live baby. Cruz sewed her 17-cm incision up with a regular needle and thread. The two men lifted mother and child onto a thin straw mat, lugged them up horse paths to the town's only road, then drove them to the clinic over two hours away.

That was March 5, 2000. Now Ines Ramirez is recognized internationally as a modern miracle: She is believed to be the only woman known to have performed a successful Caesarean-section on herself.

Re: Wow!

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ..the hell?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know childbirth is mofo, but how is that any less painful?

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd call her stupid.  If the kid can run to the medic after the fact why not in the 12 hrs previously.  And was her husband at the cantina for 12 hrs?  Why not send the kid there earlier?
  • Options
    jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wow-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0a9960f8-53cb-4343-a6ed-e4b09a54367aPost:2045423d-1fd6-4c3b-ab02-d991ba412600">Re: Wow!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd call her stupid.  If the kid can run to the medic after the fact why not in the 12 hrs previously.  And was her husband at the cantina for 12 hrs?  Why not send the kid there earlier?
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

<div>After 6 kids, I am betting she knew something was off. And I also doubt her husband assisted her as much as men do here, if I remember right, this was in Guatemala...or near there. The concept of men and women and what they do in terms of childbirth is completely different. Male immigrants here from S American refuse to cut the umbilical cord most of the time, it is often a machismo thing.</div>
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I can't even read through this without feeling faint.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm. I thought this was an urban legend.

It's shocking enough that the blood loss didn't kill her, but how on earth did that not turn into a raging infection?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards