Washington-Seattle
Options

Wedding Date Advice

My fiance and I tentatively decided on a date last night.  May 26, 2012.  I know it is still 2+ years away and could change but I need some advice.  5/26/12 falls on Memorial Day weekend.  Most of our guests live in the area so travelling isn't really a concern, but I am unsure if people would care if their memorial day weekend plans got inturrupted by our wedding.  Most of our family and friends don't travel or regularly have plans that weekend but I am concerned about those that do.  I don't want to inconvience them but then again I do want them to attend our wedding.  I know moving the date would solve the problem but FI likes this date 'and the way it sounds.' (huh?)

So finally heres my questions:
Would you change your plans to attend a wedding on memorial day weekend? (obviously if given enough notice)

Do you think it would be more difficult to secure vendors for 5/26/12?

Thanks in advance!

imageIAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Wedding Date Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    as a wedding guest, i think it's fine to do your wedding on a holiday weekend, especially when you are setting a date this far in advance.

as a wedding coordinator, i'll tell you that things do get booked up much more quickly on a holiday weekend.   however, you do have this tremendous lead time, so if you can commit to it now, you should have your first choice of venue, caterer, etc, without any real problems.

as a bride, good luck!  :)
    married :: april 22, 2010 :: sodo park, seattle Photobucket http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyclementines
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP that because you've given so much time it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't mind not doing anything to go to your wedding. Also, I think getting vendors should be pretty easy. I'm not sure you can really start booking stuff now because it might be too far out.

BUT, as someone whose been engaged for a while.. I vote don't take that long to get married. Wedding planning brings stresses out and sides of people you really don't want. If i could take it back, I would have gotten married last year (i got engaged in April 2009.. will be married july almost august 2010). Just my 2 cents.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    K2snowbunnyK2snowbunny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  We decided to move the wedding to July 28, 2012.

Sarack: I would love to get married sooner but with school, moving and finances we felt it was better to put it off until things were settled down more and we could actually enjoy the process.  We are going to the wedding expo this weekend but other then that we have made it clear to family that we aren't planning anything until 2011.  Hopefully we will be able to put off the stress of planning for awhile.

imageIAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well school and stuff makes sense. And July 28th is a good day. We are getting married July 31st. :)

Atleast now you have a year to investigate other girls' weddings and see what they've spent or experiences they've had to get exactly what you want! I'm excited to see your plans!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I've read about this, I think more ppl are at least a little irritated by weddings on holiday weekends than not.  I don't think it's an issue of time, so much as the fact that Memorial Day weekend is a holiday weekend.  Most ppl don't get a lot of days off from work, and they may want to go somewhere over that weekend instead of stay home so they can go to a wedding.

Holiday weekends are also more expensive to travel and stay places, but if you don't have a lot of OOT guests, that may not matter as much.  I just think you need to think about the fact that you'll probably lose ppl by doing it on a holiday weekend, or have some mildly disgruntled guests.  It's your decision as to whether you're ok with that.

Edit:  Just saw that you changed the date.  Probably smart.  We moved ours a couple times at first, too.  :)
  • Options
    MrsH8172010MrsH8172010 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

The way I look at it, given that they know far in advance and they are mostly local, everyone who really wants to be there is going to be there and they aren't going to care what weekend it is. I would make sure you send your STDs out way in advance if you are scared anyone might make plans (we sent ours out almost a year in advance)

I'm not sure though about whether or not it is going to be hard to secure vendors.

HTH

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I'm having a long engagement also. I did have some trouble finding vendors that would let me book really far in advance due to uncertainty about food/bev minimums etc. It will be great to have first pick of all the dates that year..and some vendors might give you a discount for booking so far in advance. I got one :).

Good Luck! 
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    edited December 2011
    Ours is on Labor Day weekend b/c it was the only time our venue was available that worked for us.  But I checked w/ all the important people first, and they were all fine with it.  Ours is on a Friday, and so far we haven't had any problems booking vendors or cost.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    teacherpigletteacherpiglet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know I am late and saw you changed the date, but thought I would give my two cents. BIL got married Memorial Day weekend last year and it wasn't an issue to book their vendors.  From when they got engaged to the wedding was 7 months and it all worked out just fine.  A good chunk of the guests were from out of town too. 

• Options
    K2snowbunnyK2snowbunny member
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the input everyone!  Initially my thought was the same as carrieoz's is but FI thought if we told them soon enough they wouldn't care.  Since we changed it to July, I think it will be easier all around.  Also we might (fingers crossed) be moving it up a year, which would be very nice!

Carrieoz:  What kind of dog is that in your picture?  It kinda looks like a shih tzu :)

imageIAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for moving the date up (maybe!).  I'm glad you found a date that'll work for you both.

Ozzie's a mix - mostly Lhasa Apso, and some Shih Tzu.  All adorable, im(h)o.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards